Returnil Premium Install

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chris1341, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Trying to install Returnil Premium 2008 (2.0.0.57). Telling me I must be logged in as administrator. I am. Any ideas?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi chris,
    Are you using Vista with UAC activated? If yes, try right clicking the RVS installation file and select "Run As Administrator" from the menu options.

Mike

3. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Managed to solve it thanks. I've been trying out a few of these type of solutions. I had SafeSpace installed and because I downloaded the file through a browser protected by SafeSpace it was under control and therefore not being allowed to install.

Installed now.

Here comes the good part - trying to work out the best configuration for me. Might be back!

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You will like Returnil. Like Boost found, you can dump some of the anchors of security products you use. If you need some help, just holler.:doubt:

5. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

So no more anti-virus and anti-spyware apps needed if using Returnil?

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I have only ThreatFire running, to protect between re-boots...

7. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

How's performance? Does it slow down browsing, load times.. etc?

8. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

If you always have protection on when connected to the internet, I'd say not in my case

Others will have a different opinion :)

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have a fairly large disk cache size and virtual drive size, so I go awhile between reboots. I just use something extra in between to tell me if something crops up and I need to reboot.

10. 19monty64

Once a week I turn RVS off to update everything and defrag after. A reg.-defrag on reboot with RVS back on after reboot. Scheduler set to always be on, so if I reboot in between updates, the pc is already defragged. Everything has been quicker since installing Returnil including reboots since TF is the only security to load. I noticed some slow-downs in surfing with SandboxIE but none with RVS. Turning off all the auto-updaters has probably helped too. (Speedtest.net has shown no slow-down with bandwidth either...)

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Returnil is a recovery software (Immediate System Recovery), which means your system partition is UNCHANGED after reboot, that's the principle. Don't confuse recovery with security, that's not the same.

Returnil without security softwares will allow any malware to install and execute itself between two reboots.
    Returnil will REMOVE the malware and UNDO the damage it caused, but only during reboot.
    So Returnil is the perfect removal tool for malware, but it doesn't stop malware from doing its evil job, like stealing your private data, unless you do something about it. You can't undo theft with Returnil, because it's already done.
    So you still need security softwares to protect your system partition and data.

The crucial question is : "Which security software and that is an endless discussion" ?
    Instead of using scanners, you might consider : sandboxes, HIPS, anti-executable, behavior blockers, whitelists, ..., these softwares don't require daily signature updates and that is more convenient in a frozen system partition.

If security softwares fail to do their job, Returnil will remove the malware, that bypassed your security softwares, during reboot and that is a big advantage, because you won't have remaining malware on your computer.
    It's no secret, that scanners aren't the perfect removal tools : missing signatures, new malwares, false positives, ...

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

My rookie error started this thread yesterday but the question of what is enough for security when you use Returnil has me curious. I'm using latest versions of Returnil, KIS 7 and SAS.

Wondering if I should be using some form of behavioral analysis rather than or as well as the signature based stuff to protect between reboots? If so any recommendations. Used Threatfire a while ago and found it made things a bit sluggish but might have been combination other things.

13. ErikAlbert

If you use Returnil, you certainly don't need on-demand scanners anymore.
    On-demand scanners remove malware between two scans, Returnil removes malware between two reboots.
    I don't see any difference between two scans and two reboots, except that reboot-time is much shorter than any scan-time.
    So you can forget all on-demand scanners, because they are a waste of time. Returnil will do this complete and much faster.

Only the real-time shield of the main scanner is usefull in a frozen system, because that stops the malware immediately, but there are other ways to replace the real-time shield.

So you have to use a different type of security softwares, which are able to prevent the installation and/or execution of malware, while Returnil will take care of the removal.
    I don't know all the answers, because I'm looking myself.
    I use already Anti-Executable, Sandboxie and DefenseWall.

14. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Thanks, I'll try some combinations and see what works.

What would I get from Sandboxie I'm not getting with Retutnil? Would Sandboxie prevent a keylogger for example phoning home while Returnil simply deletes on reboot potentially after the malware could have got what its looking for?

15. ErikAlbert

Sandboxie ISOLATES good and bad objects in a sandbox, so they can't do any harm anymore and this counts for all sandboxed APPLICATIONS.
    Keyloggers are a special type of malware, they act immediately once they are installed and only an expert can answer that.
    I don't know any details, I only know the principle. If I was a professional malware expert, I wouldn't be here.
    DefenseWall HIPS seems to do pretty good regarding keyloggers.

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Some keyloggers can steal like to no end,even if they are confined to SBIE,afterall they can read and log your keystrokes,steal personal data,take screen captures by way of ''editing'' your browser,they put out their ''secret'' e-mails ! ;)

17. ErikAlbert

Isn't that considered as suspicious behavior by ThreatFire ?

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

You may ask the former fanboys of ThreadFire why they lost interest in it.

Point is that the combo Returnil/SBIE will save you from almost anything,but their is some devilish malicious code out there which can fool SBIE,but to our relief it can be configured in a way that will stop this dirty stuff,its already discussed here in other threads.

19. 19monty64

Yes, it is. Keyloggers had nothing to do with my previous TF fanboy-status.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am now using Returnil and not a damn thing else on a computer and have no fears of any issues arising. Some of you are scared poop-less that the end of internet security is on us. The truth is, you may have a better chance of getting struck by lightning. Can it happen, yes. Does it happen enough to warrant the fear of what we have been lead to think, hell no. It just doesnt happen like that. When, when, when, was the last time a really big nasty hit you, not counting a Keebler cookie.

21. 19monty64

WOW :eek: that was fast!!! Your set-up is hard to keep up with. :argh:

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I dont bank online, my kids live at myspace and I have yet to find crap with all the security products I have used. Returnil gives me one thing and one thing only. Peace of mind, and that my friend is worth every penny I paid for it. Well almost paid for it. I dont give a crud anymore about the "whats best" or the "what didnt detect" syndrome. Enjoy it folks if you wish, but I am fine and crazy. Not a bad combo. Coldmoon, thank you for all your patience and help.:thumb:

23. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

yes RETURNIL is a great software but got its disadvantage like u cant check / test software which needed reboot.and some other things u will find out by your self :cautious: ..also its slow down the system little

cheers:thumb:

24. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello demoneye,
    Can you be a bit more specific in describing "...some other things u will find out by your self..." and any performance issues?

Thanks
    Mike

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

demoneye, I have been using Returnil, off and on for a very long time. No issues have popped me in the ass yet.:cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.