Returnil over DeepFreeze

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by slxplovs, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slxplovs

slxplovs Registered Member

I am considering using Returnil as a replacement for Deepfreeze and have 2 main queries.

1. Does Returnil protect against all known methods of writing the mbr (especially such ways as a kernelmode drive installed while protection is on which performs raw disk writes to infect the mbr)? Currently DeepFreeze does not appear (as I have experienced and as they have told me) to protect the mbr from being modified directly. Knowing the type of protection offered by Returnil would help greatly.

2. Are there any management consoles available to manage workstations which have returnil installed on them such as Faronics Deepfreeze console? This would mostlikely be a requirement for deployment in any environment should you want to make updates/changes to the OS and software environments, and a central console from which to disable protection to make these udpates is expected however I see no information about such a feature on the website?

I welcome answers to these questions but also comments about how else returnil would be better than deepfreeze - note i am not interested in features such as scheduled updates/controlling windows updates etc... simply a restore on reboot solution with centralized thaw/freeze (protection on/off) management capabilities.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello slxplovs and welcome to the forums :)

Returnil is designed with MBR protection. We monitor new malware and hacking tools to ensure the program is working as intended. When we encounter content that can bypass or is reported to bypass, we test and update the software against it quickly.

We do have a Management console that is being developed in parallel with version 3. The last "private" beta (sent to a tester's list) was released yesterday with the next client beta scheduled to be public. We are currently looking for network admins to give the console/client combination a test drive and give us feedback.

Mike

3. arran

arran Registered Member

4. developers

developers Registered Member

guest told me that he sent the sample to Returnil developers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.