Returnil important question

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by user_sec, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user_sec

user_sec Registered Member

Hi, i have i question:
    If i don't restart/turn off correctly my pc (because of a power outage or just a simple freeze), is Returnil able to 'Wipe all disk changes at computer startup' anyway? I mean, does Returnil really wipe it on after restart? or something could be compromised after a wrong restart?
    Another question: does it wipe my disk even if i don't check "start virtual mode when i start windows" or it could have some problems just putting it in virtual mode only when i really need it?
    Thank you very much:)

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It has worked OK for me after power outages have occurred with the virtual protection enabled.

I only use Returnil "on demand". Recently I am using it almost permanently, but it doesn´t start with Windows. I have had no problems at all. The cache is deleted after reboot. I dont´t have the "wipe" option enabled.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi user_sec and welcome to the forums :)

Robin is correct, but one clarification based on CR's follow up reply:

The cache is not wiped unless you use the option to wipe (random pass single overwrite approach) it at startup of the computer. It IS however always overwritten with each new virtual mode session. This means that when you restart the computer and then enter Virtual Mode, the tracking of changes will begin at the start of the cache and overwrite anything that was there from a previous virtual mode session.

This is not absolute as your activities and the number/size of attempted changes tracked can vary from session to session so some material in the cache may persist for a time. This was the reason to add the Wipe option for those sensitive to this for privacy and/or security reasons.

The cache wipe option does have a downside as it can delay to the startup of the computer depending on the amount of content in, and the size of the cache.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.