Returnil and virtual partition incompatible with anything?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Horus37, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Does anyone have a list of security software that doesn't work with returnil? Not so sure about this virtual partition.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello Horus37,
    The Virtual Partition should not cause any issues or be incompatible with the functions of any security software. It is a file that simulates a logical partition and not a hidden extended partition like you experienced with your HP recovery program tests.

When mounted it appears in "My Computer" and can be scanned as you would any other user accessible partition. When dismounted, the VP is just another file on your computer.

Deleting the file (please be sure to dismount it first) or installing Returnil without including the VP will have no effect on the System Protection/Session Lock feature.

Mike

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Question. After install I show a huge area that needs defragging but cant.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It's probably the virtual partition. You should be able to defrag it if you dismount the VP from the GUI

5. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Defragging is another issue I have concerns with when using returnil installed with a virtual partition. If I disable the VP and it really is just a file then hopefully it will defrag ok. I looked at the drive with the VP on by using perfect disk 8 and the partition looked HUGE. It looked like nearly 1/3 of my drive was taken up by this new virtual partition. I'll have to turn off the VP see if all that area becomes blank again. I tend to feel uneasy about this virtual partition much like I feel uneasy about using the folder anchoring in FDISR.

6. Coldmoon

Horus,
    The File will not disappear if you dismount the VP. Additionally, the VP is exactly the size you set when you installed Returnil (does not grow or shrink over time).

Mike

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Horus, how big did you set it, when you installed it?

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

My install recommended 13614Mb or around 13Gig when installing but I only set it for 2000Mb which is around 2Gigs because I wasn't sure what the VP did. I rather like the VP and find it useful now that I have played around with it.

1. I do have a few questions since the topic was brought up. What happens if I uninstall RVS? Will the VP uninstall too, or do I have to do it manually?

2. What happens when the VP begins to get full or gets full. Will I receive a warning or an error and from what program?

3. I'm confused about all this mount/dismount stuff. The only info I could find on it concerned Linux. Could someone briefly explain what it means to have the VP mounted and what it means to both RVS and Windows. Also, if when it's dismounted and just a file, can I modify it? Can I move files in and out of it? I already know that I can move files in and out of the VP when it's mounted with protection off and on.

Thank you, innerpeace

9. Coldmoon

Hi innerpeace,
    I made a reply at CastleCops but it is important to make sure this information is included here as well.

The size recommendation you will see during the install is a guide to show you the maximum size your current available space will allow. This is so you can "budget" your space and also to know if you will have enough room to store the content you plan on putting into the VP. Just remember that this is a maximum, so be careful that you leave adequate space available for future program installations in your System Partition...

The VP requires RVS be installed to access its contents, so if you are going to permanently uninstall RVS, please be sure to backup any wanted content in the VP to another drive/partition before you uninstall.

The uninstaller is configured by default to remove the VP. See the "Uninstall" page under the support section of the manual for screenshots of the entire process.

You will recieve a standard Windows insufficient space to copy/save file message.

This may provide a place to start:
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/mount.html

In this case it means that Windows recognizes the VP as a real partition and "makes it available"

No, the drive must be mounted by RVS to access contents of the VP. You cannot see, add, or modify anything in the VP if it is dismounted.

Mike

10. lurkingatu2

lurkingatu2 Registered Member

ok i'm trying to understand this mount and dismount also by defalt it mounts the vp drive z on windows start so if i update my antivirus and antispyware programs do's that mean it's updating the vp z drive even with returnil off it woint go to my c drive or do i have to dismount the vp z drive to update my programs :) thanks

11. innerpeace

Thanks Mike

That about answers all the questions that I had. The rest is just details. I hope this at least helps someone else too.

Take care, innerpeace

(Sorry about the timing of the questions. I asked a few here before I saw you entered the discussion there. I didn't think anyone was listening.:ouch:)

12. innerpeace

Assuming your antivirus and antispyware and all their files are in your C: or system partition. Yes, they will be updated/saved as long as protection is off. If protection is on then they still can be updated, but the updates will be lost after turning protection off/rebooting. Does that make sense?

My VP or Z: partition mounts by default too. When I boot into Windows with protection off, I update my security programs, then when I want protection, I use the Session Lock to enable protection for my C: or system partition. From that point on, any changes to the C: or system partition will be gone after reboot. You can save anything at anytime to the Z: (VP) if its mounted.

The only data that goes to the Z: drive is the data that you intentionally send to it. As long as the VP is mounted, you can send data to it whether or not the protection is on or off. You can also move files/folders to and from it with protection on or off. If you want protection on all the time rather than use the session lock feature, you will have to specify that your virus/spyware definitions be saved to a drive other than your C: or system drive or your Z: (VP).

I was confused too at first and had no idea what a VP was or what it did. Just think of the VP when mounted as a folder that you can save data to and it doesn't matter if the RVS protection is on or off. I hope this helps. I can be clearer if not.

13. lurkingatu2

lurkingatu2 Registered Member

thanks very much innerpeace that helps alot ;) :thumb:

14. innerpeace

Your welcome, I'm glad to help. If you have any more questions, don't be shy. Someone is bound to have an answer for you.

Cheers, innerpeace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.