Returnil and security updates.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Scoobs, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

I currently use Returnil to virtualise my system partition but having to turn off protection and reboot to allow AVG and Spyware Terminator to update is a little bit annoying.

Is there some way I could store their databases on my Data partition so that they could update and the updates would not be deleted at next restart?

Also, is this the best way to fix the problem or could it create more problems?

2. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

With Returnil Premium you can use the File Manager to exclude files and folders.
    This does only work with disk caching method, not with memory caching.

Returnil Free does not offer this option.

Cheers

3. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Gah! That doesn't fit with my "totally free" setup. After paying for KAV and Outpost a few years back with rather disasterous results, I've decided that if software is going to bork my computer I'm not going to have paid for it to do so... :p

I'm fairly optimistic I can move the AV signatures over to my data partition, but if anyone knows how, they could save me a lot of research time! ;)

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Scoobs.

I know this has been widely discussed here at wilders. Just do a search, and you'll find it.

Good luck!

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Whats the problem ? updates done in virtual session are just like a normal update,at the end of the day just reboot,and let it update again which are definitive. Don't worry !

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Scoops, I explained all of this and what would work with how you wanted it to work when I helped you set it up. You want to go free, fine, but AV updating isnt a issue. Even with the free your AV is always updated and every few days a reboot and manual update takes all of 3 minutes.:doubt:

7. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Trjam, Sorry if that's right. I could well be mistaken, but I've just had a look back through my posts and I can't find where you helped me out before. Sorry if I'm being stupid.

I agree it's not a big deal, but I don't like downloading the same updates each time I turn on the computer, and so AV updates are the most frequent reason for me turning off Returnil, and turning it off makes me feel uneasy!

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If I recall it was through PMs.
    And I may be wrong, it was someone last week. Doesnt matter, helping you is what matters.

9. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

The benefit of using ThreatFire (as AntiMalware) with Returnil, is that TF doesn't need to update daily. I update the scanners (AV&SAS) for my weekly on-demand scan now....

10. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Ah. Definitely wasn't me then. Any chance of a copy of the PMs?

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It was Boost, looks so much like Scoops.:cautious: Sorry

12. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

and Scoobs as well! ;)

No worries. I'd still like to know if what I want to do is possible but I don't want to take up too much of anyone's time. If the PMs are a suitable beginner's guide I could just use those...

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Scoobs,
    If you start using a software like Returnil or any other ISR-software, you always have the same problem : "How to keep the good changes ?".
    Security updates, bookmarks, email-address-book and emails are all examples of good changes. You can solve all these problems one-by-one, sometimes in several different ways.
    In this case I can't help, because I don't have security updates, I only use evergreen security softwares, that don't require daily updates, just program updates.

Returnil is much better than FDISR, regarding excluded objects.
    Returnil protects excluded objects constantly until you commit the good change yourself. Big improvement.

FDISR doesn't protect excluded objects, each change is done immediately without user permission. That's why I didn't use excluded objects.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.