Returnil and Firefox

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by twistedvincent, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistedvincent

twistedvincent Registered Member

A very disturbing thing has happened to me 3 times when using Returnil session lock.......
    It completely removes all my firefox settings/addons/themes etc.....
    anyone else experience this?
    If so is there a solution?
    I love Returnil,but this is prohibitative to say the least.:doubt:

Vista ultimate,Kaspersky,Look-n-Stop,Comodo Bo-clean

Thank You

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

did you install those stuff before or after going to session lock?

3. twistedvincent

Yes I'm just listing my current security items.Firefox was installed before Returnil as well.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

but addons and themes?

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

twistedvincent,

Are you talking about addons, themes, bookmarks etc. that you added during the Session Lock? If so, they will be gone after a reboot along with any other changes you make to your system partition. The only way around this would be to save your Firefox data in an unprotected location. I think the new paid version with disk caching can be set up to keep changes also. I'm not 100% sure though.

It's also wise to backup your Firefox profile every so often. I think I'm past due myself :).

6. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I've had missing bookmarks in the past but this was before using Returnil.
    However a couple of times after I reboot from a session lock Ad-Block Plus has been missing.
    I dont usually notice this until I go to a sports website that I'm a regular visitor of and all the ads starts showing up on the site, thats when I notice the little ABP icon in my web browser is missing.

7. twistedvincent

What happens is I'll just turn on session lock if I have a few programs I want to install and try out.I'll install the applications,see if I like them,and reboot.I'm not adding anything to Firefox while under session lock because I know full well that they'll be gone on reboot.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Ok then, that is not good. I know I've read about Firefox profiles getting messed up from time to time without the use of Returnil. That's why I mentioned regular backups of the profiles.

If it is Returnil causing your problems, I think Mike/ "Coldmoon" will have to help you. I hope he will be around sometime soon. You could also post which Returnil version your using as it may help.

9. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    Can you describe the exact steps to reproduce this? Thanks

Mike

10. twistedvincent

It's quite simple really......I right click on my Returnal tray icon,choose session lock so I can install and try a new program or something of the sort.Finish up and reboot.
    Next time I go to use Firefox it has basically returned to it's "original" state.No passwords,themes,a few of the couple add ons remain,but it's like I just installed Firefox all over again.

Thanks for the response....

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.