Returnil 2010 wont initilize on fat32 partition

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by wildfllower, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildfllower

wildfllower Registered Member

Hello,

Since I have a slow hardrive I wanted to try returnil 2010 3.1.8774 on my xp media center using fat32. Everything seems to install okay. I can run a system scan, and it seems to do updates but when I try turning on the system safe, the CPU spikes to 100 percent and it never initializes. I've let it run for maybe a minute or two without success. A reboot is always necessary.

In contrast, I then converted fat32 to ntfs using the convert.exe and returnil worked like charm. FYI. I've never had problems with this build on NTFS before.

Any thoughts? The PDF files say Returnil works on fat32? I even tried the 2011 version and the same exact thing happened.

Also I turned off all virus controls just to see if t hat wont affect anything but it didnt help

Thanks very much,,,

Wildfllower

PS. If returnil 2010 isnt designed to run on fat32, does anybody know a legitimate site to obtain returnil 2008? Ive read that others have had success with this build. Is brothersoft a legitimate site? Only place I can find it so far..

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, i was very happily using v.2008 on XP/SP2 with FAT32 :)

The only reason i stopped, was due to it causing System Restore problems. I also discovered it did the same on Vista with NTFS.

Check the threads on here for more details on SR problems with v.2008, & other versions.

Yes, brothersoft IS a legitimate site :thumb:

Be interested in hearing how it goes :thumb:

3. wildfllower

Thanks for replying! Tomorrow I will download 2008 and try it. It is bizzare about not being able to use the newer version on 2010 but the only thing I can imagine is it has something to do with file system permissions or something. Clearly a bug in my view, but since I'm not a programmer I have no clue where I would start or how I would access files to modify settings. .

Definitely I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks,,

Wildfllower

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    As mentioned in your other thread on the same topic, please try the latest 3.2x build (REL13 - see download link in the announcement thread in the releases forum). RVS 2008 is an old and no-longer supported version of the software except in very special circumstances that apply only to some of of older network customers. Almost all have switched to either RVS Pro 2011 or RVS Lite 2011 so please try the latest version as I suggest as it has the most up to date bux fixes with the one you describe having been fixed in an older 3.2x build.

Mike

5. wildfllower

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying. YEs I have tried the 2011 version and still the same issues. Virtualization will not initilize on fat32. ITs clear there is some kind of a bug in regards to fat32. Returnil seems pretty straight forward in setup and dont see any adjustments I could possibly make that could rectify the problem...

Just to recap, I am running returnil on XP home media center with service pack2. unless you have any Ideas, could you provide me with a link to your older 2008 version please. Everything Ive read suggests it works fine with fat32. Please give a link OTHER than brothersoft as I have major issues with them..

THank you.

Toby

6. Coldmoon

Please send us the logs from the 2011 install so we can investigate this further.

Mike

7. wildfllower

HI Mike. I forwarded those on. Thanks,

Just an FYI. I came across 2008 and it works perfectly good on fat32. Thank you..

8. wildfllower

Cloneranger.

Hi, I got the 2008 version to work on fat32. Worked just like you said. I was curious, but did you use disc caching or memory caching on your setup? And do you know if either of those methods uses the windows xp page file, or is it using a scratch file of its own?

Thanks for your direction. :)

9. CloneRanger

@ wildfllower

Great :)

I tried both, & generally i prefered memory caching for Privacy reasons = ;) To me, disc caching would only be useful if i were wishing to save something/s to the HD, as it's stated that corruption "could" happen otherwise. I can't remember if you can do that in the free version though ?

Not as a design "feature" within Returnil, but if you have the PF enabled, i do NOT = :) windows might write to it during a session, but on shutdown or boot those & other changes are "supposed" to disappear anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

Pleasure

10. Coldmoon

Hi CR,
    One correction you should be aware of:

RVS/RSS do not virtualize the Windows Pagefile or Hibernation files as virtualizing them can cause havoc with Windows.

This has been posted/discussed in several threads going back as far as RVS 2007...

Mike

11. CloneRanger

@ Coldmoon

Hi, yes quite right :thumb: sorry i forgot about that, as it's a while since i used it !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.