Returnil 2008

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by LenC, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Is it possible to get a copy of 2008? I installed 2010 several weeks ago and it created all sorts of problems on two computers (2 out of 2) and I had to remove it. I am not inclined to try 2010 again (even if there is a newer build), but I do miss Returnil's functionality.

Can I go back to 2008?

2. philby

philby Registered Member

You can d/l it here.

philby

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Philby -

Thank you!

Len

P.S. What version do you use?

4. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello Len

I use 2010 Free and have been lucky enough to have no functionality problems at all (save for the 'phantom drive' issue already dealt with on this forum).

What kind of problems did you have with it?

philby

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Philby -

This all occurred on three home computers - XP Home (2), and XP Professional (1).

I installed an MS update and updated Returnil from 2008 to 2010 (uninstall and clean install). Over the next week, I started having problems with all three computers - slower and slower bootups, and then eventually a compete freeze on bootup.

I initially thought the MS update was the culprit, but I saw a Returnil error message pop up and quickly disappear on one of the machines I was trying to fix. I couldn't boot up in safe mode.

So I restored a prior image and removed Returnil 2008. Everything is fine, but I'm thinking maybe I should just go back to using 2008 again. I don't use it all that often but it does come in handy at times.

Thanks for the link!

6. cyberdiva

cyberdiva Registered Member

Hi, LenC. I'm a brand-new user of Returnil, so I probably shouldn't comment on your problem, but I'm wondering whether you're having Returnil start at startup. I decided not to have it do so, mostly because my boot time is already longer than I'd like it to be, and I don't feel I need to have Returnil active from minute one. Though I think/imagine/hallucinate that the bootup is a little slower with Returnil installed but off, it's not dramatically slower, the way you've found it to be. So if you're having Returnil start at startup, perhaps you should change that and just start it when you need it (especially since you said you don't use it all that often).

Just a thought.

7. philby

philby Registered Member

Len, I wouldn't give up on it!

Get things the way you like them, take an image and give 2010 another shot.

For me, it's silky smooth in terms of start up (it's the only app. I have start)and switching between saving/dropping changes. (I skipped the AV feature and am running it on Win 7 64 bit).

Of course, everyone's machine is different, but maybe second time around you'll be luckier...

philby

8. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Cyberdiva -

It started out as a slow startup issue, but within days the machines were unbootable - even in safe mode.

Philby -

I might do that - give it another try. I didn't have much opportunity to work with it. You commented that you disabled the AV feature - I'm glad to hear that option (to disable) is available. Based on my preliminary read of 2010's features, I wasn't thrilled to read there was this additional AV feature built into it.

9. cyberdiva

cyberdiva Registered Member

Hi, Len. I'm not sure whether I made my question clear. Did you have Returnil set to start when Windows starts? I've had the experience of having programs put themselves into the startup menu and then screw up the boot process. What I've found is that it's usually better to REMOVE unessential programs from the startup menu so that they don't enter into the boot process. Then, after the computer has booted up, you can open the program separately. That might help with the problem you described. Of course, if you don't have Returnil starting when Windows starts, then what I've said isn't relevant.

10. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Yes, I did misunderstand - thank you for the clarification. I did have it starting up with windows now that I think about it. If I give it another try, I'll keep your comment in mind and not have t start automatically/

Thank you

11. RWB

RWB Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.