Returnil 2008 beta and DU Meter

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Oremina, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

Spent the last couple of days trying to get used to the RVS disk cache method instead of the memory cache I've been using up to now. I also like to keep a check on my internet usage using DU Meter. I've tried just about every folder/file combination of DU Meter in RVS's File Manager but haven't been able to get it to work - every time I remove protection and reboot, DU Meter goes back to either zero or just a few Kbs. Has anyone using this combination been able to get it to work?

2. Oremina

Hmmm...... Just testing..:)

I know its not the world's commonest combination.

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Oremina,
    Sorry I missed your post yesterday. When you add the files and folders to the File Manager List did you add a check in the box to the left of each list entry and then click the "Update Selected" link in the middle just below the list window before you restarted the system?

Alternate methods for saving files and folders outside the File Manager:

1) Activating the shell extension option will add a right click menu option to Windows Explorer that will commit a selected file ot folder to disk immediately

2) Activating the drag and drop to the Tool Bar option that will also commit the dropped file or folder to the disk immediately.

Kind regards
    Mike

4. Oremina

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. The problem is I have two versions of DU Meter, v3 on my XP and v4 on my Vista. I know my way around v3 fairly well, that is to say I know it writes information to a csv file, where that is and also where it writes to in registry. I've used this info in the past, for example, if I need to do an image restore I can save this info and restore it back after my image restore, thus not losing a day or whatever's bandwidth usage. Fine. Version 4 appears to be a different animal and I can't find where this sort of info is kept on Vista.

So what I plan to do now is put DU Meter on the back burner for the time being as it is so complicated (for me) and concentrate on learning a bit more about about writing simpler things to the "real" HDD, e.g. My Documents etc. Should I discover anything worthwhile or need to ask for help later, I'll post again here or on the Returnil forum on CastleCops.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.