Returnil 2.0.1.9002 BLOD When Rebooting

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Miska, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miska

Miska Registered Member

Returnil 2.0.1.9002 BSOD When Rebooting

Hi again,
    i am still having an issue with the latest Returnil personal edition, and that is when choosing erase remnants option and rebooting it sometimes blue screens when shutting down to reboot. I cant read the text as it is way too fast to see. And i am worred that the BSOD is happening outside of protection, but i see no errors in event log. My OS is just fresh installed as well, so no driver corruption etc. All i see is Windows is shutting down, then the screen goes black... and then the BSOD occurs !!
    Hope you can help.

Running ....
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 1333FSB 6MB Cache Quad Core Core 64 Bit Processor
    ASUS P5N-T Deluxe Motherboard
    4GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Ram
    640GB (2 x 320GB) Serial ATA II Hard drive with 16MB Buffer
    Dual Nvidia 8800GTX 1024MB PCI-E Graphics Running In SLI Mode

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Miska,
    Are there any issues when you shutdown with the wipe feature deactivated (turned off)?

Mike

3. Miska

Miska Registered Member

Hi Mike.
    hope your doing well. :) If i dont enable erase remnants and just drop changes it seems ok. I never had issues with the older Returnil 2.0 release. So i dont know why it does it, is their a chance having SLI GPUs can cause this issue. ?
    Thanks.

4. Coldmoon

I have asked the dev team to take a look at this and may ask for additional information as I learn more about what might be happening here. In the interim can you describe your system in detail (OS, hardware, security/filtering/blocking software)?

Thanks
    Mike

5. Coldmoon

I have an update on this and apologize for not recognizing what is happening right off the bat. The issues is related to how some AV's scan at system shutdown. At the moment, there is a known issue related to McAfee Total Protection that will cause a BSOD at shut down when you are using the RVS cache wipe feature.

The gist of the issue here is that McAfee will still try to write to the cache very late in the shutdown process while RVS is attempting to overwrite the cache. This causes a conflict resulting in a BSOD. The reason McAfee does this is in reaction to a new family of malware that attempts to keep itself alive late into the shutdown process where it can take advantage of weakness in the OS that do not exist at other times (IOW the OS is more vulnerable at shutdown than it is at startup or normal operation).

We are working to solve this in the 3x series and recommend that those using McAfee TP deactivate the RVS cache wipe feature...

Mike

6. Miska

Miska Registered Member

My PC Specs are in the first post.
    Apart from that i run Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and thats about it. Im behind a router as well. I convert video clips a great deal with ConvertXtoDVD and there fore always have a lot of RAR files to clean when i reboot in Virtual mode.
    If you want more details let me know what and ill gladly post them.
    Thanks. ;)

Specs again.

Running ....
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 1333FSB 6MB Cache Quad Core Core 64 Bit Processor
    ASUS P5N-T Deluxe Motherboard
    4GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Ram
    640GB (2 x 320GB) Serial ATA II Hard drive with 16MB Buffer
    Dual Nvidia 8800GTX 1024MB PCI-E Graphics Running In SLI Mode

7. Coldmoon

Though we have not specifically verified this with KAV/KIS, it may still be related to the issue I posted above for the same reasons. This boils down to a privacy rather than security related issue so the workaround should be sufficient until a fix is available.

It is also mitigated by the fact that the cache is overwritten with each new virtual session. this means that with heavy use, the overwrite of new data clears the older data. While not as tight from a privacy perspective, you are still protected.

Mike

8. Miska

Miska Registered Member

Thanks Mike,
    and sorry i must of posted my reply to you at the same time you posted the update coz i missed it until now :D I will from now on ( until further notice) just use the "Drop Changes" option rather than the wipe. I hope that is the correct fix ! And i hope my experiences have been of help to you with regard to finding a fix.
    And thanks for an excellent free product.
    Regards Miska.

9. Coldmoon

Yes, simply turn off the cache wipe and you should be good to go

10. Miska

Miska Registered Member

Just tried a reboot and all went ok. But can i shred the files before i reboot ? i know you've said before that theres no need but is it ok to shred data before i restart anyway for peace of mind ?
    Cheers. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.