Retaining cookies in Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wat0114, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Using Firefox 26 and I have it set to clear history upon closing, cookies included, never allow 3rd party cookies with lastpass.com the exception. Trouble is this cookie gets deleted but I'd like it retained so I don't have to keep logging back into Lastpass between browsing sessions, especially of 30 min or less beween sessions.

Does anyone know of a way to retain selected cookies without having to utilize a 3rd party add-on?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Try this: Under settings for "Clear history when Firefox closes", make sure Firefox does not clean cookies. However just above, tell Firefox to keep cookies until you close it.

I think the former cleans all cookies while the latter cleans anything not in your exceptions.

If this doesn't work for you, then perhaps you will need to use a 3rd party addon.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

If you can't find a way, then you could use extension Biscuit.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Does it not have a cookie whitelist?

5. wat0114

thanks for this suggestion, WSFuser. Unfortunately it didn't work. It looks like even the 3rd party exceptions are removed as well.

I was hoping to avoid 3rd party extensions, but this does work and it seems very "lightweight" as well. It took me a few minutes to figure out the right-click option to preserve a cookie - dohh! It's a keeper, thanks :)

if you mean ther Biscuit extension, yes, when you right-click-Check a cookie it keeps it from being deleted.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No, I mean Firefox. I think it does.

7. wat0114

Yes it has an Exceptions option but even though I place lastpass.com in there the critical PHPSESSID cookie still gets deleted, and that's the one that retains my login session between browser closures. Biscuit, however, keeps the cookie when I select to preserve it.

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

This is weird, the method described by WSFuser is exactly how I store my login cookies - using the whitelist...

9. MrBrian

@wat0114: you're welcome :). I looked into the same issue a few months ago, and Biscuit was my solution. I read about the built-in method(s), but I seem to recall that they failed some use case(s) - such as perhaps when I manually cleared history.

10. wat0114

It looks like it should work and I was kicking myself for not seeing it earler before trying it but discovering it didn't retain the lastpass cookie.

Good to know I'm not the only one needing an alternative. I really like how this Biscuit extension just seems to seamlessly integrate behind the scenes into Firefox' cookie settings :)

11. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I disable "Accept cookies from sites." Enable "Clear history when Firefox closes" but disable "Cookies" in the Settings. Then I manage all cookies through the exceptions dialog. "Allow" keeps cookies until they expire and "Allow for session" keeps them for the session only. I've never needed a third-party extension and only rarely have to log in if a cookie expires. It takes a little extra effort up front but after awhile it's very easy.

12. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I'm giving Biscuit a try and so far it looks like a keeper. Thanks!

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@wat0114
    You can use Ccleaner for the purpose if you already have it to clean junks.

14. MrBrian

You're welcome :). Glad you like it.

15. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

16. MrBrian

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  17. MrBrian

18. MrBrian

Note that some of these extensions might not clear Flash cookies or DOM storage.

19. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Firefox Cookie settings.png

Why are you running an older version of Firefox ? You might want to upgrade soon. FF 31.0 is slated for release on July 22.

Show us a screen capture of your cookie | history settings for a look.

20. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

I was using CookieKeeper but after trying Biscuit, I like it a lot. Just one question. Does Biscuit delete flash and DOM storage on exit ?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  21. MrBrian

I'm not sure. At the end of every day, I manually clear all History, which clears all those items, except for Biscuit-protected cookies and Better Privacy-protected Flash cookies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.