Resume Truecrypt encryptions process on different computer

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dmonic, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmonic

dmonic Registered Member

Need help with a technical question with Truecrypt. I'm using Truecrypt to encrypt an external portable hard drive (non system partition) that already had important files in it that I don't want to lose. I deferred the process after starting it with my computer running Windows 7, which is completely safe to do. Now I'd like to resume the encryption process on my laptop running Windows Vista but I'm not getting the option window to resume. I do get the option window to resume on my computer however when I try it on that. How can I resume the encryption process on my laptop? Or can it only be resumed on the computer? Not sure where or what site to ask this question because the Truecrypt site does not allow new users to post in their forum and have no clue where to ask this question. Thank you for any help.

2. dmonic

dmonic Registered Member

Bump. If I start the encryption process from the beginning on my laptop will I lose my files? Will the previous semi encryption affect anything?

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Yes, so definitely don't do that.

Yes, that portion of the disk is still encrypted and it's not going away. You have to complete the process.

I've never tried switching computers and OS's in the middle of an encryption-in-place, so I really can't answer your question. Possibly there is a file in the TrueCrypt folder that is keeping track of the encryption progress. I'd have to test it, but I'm way too busy to mess around with that right now. Sorry.

New users can post in all three forums, but you have to register first. However, many potential users don't join because they don't want to provide a non-free email address.

4. dmonic

dmonic Registered Member

Thanks so much dantz, I'll try to finish the encryption process on the computer I started it on as soon as I can get to it as I don't want to lose any files. I didn't even know how to get a non free email. I appreciate your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.