Restoring Windows 7 to a new Windows 8 laptop

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mvsoom, Mar 10, 2014.

1. mvsoom

mvsoom Registered Member

Hello everyone,

my Windows 7 Toshiba laptop crashed (physically) but I have a full image backup and a flash startup stick. So far so good.

I bought a brand new Windows 8 HP laptop with enough space on the HD.
    Now I want to restore the full Win 7 image via the USB stick.
    My vendor warned me of BIOS settings. Did a few Google and (including this one, of course) forum searches but I am not sure I can fix this. They wouldn't give a Win 8 installation DVD or something similar... I don't want to screw up, I spent enough money already.

Can you guys please explain to me how to restore the Win 7 on the Win 8 laptop? I would be very thankful. I am a moderately skilled computer user, did some programming a few years ago.

Thank you very much,

Marnix

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Restoring the image to the new UEFI computer would be problematic, I think. I´d better look for alternatives.

What failed in your computer? The disk, or the mainboard? What information do you want to transfer, applications or personal data, or both?

Also, if you haven´t done it already, post your question to the Windows 8 Forum. Imaging is not the strong point of that forum, but they usually come up with good solutions to specific problems.

3. Rickajho

Rickajho Registered Member

This isn't going to work for a ton of reasons. You have two completely different lap tops with completely different hardware. What is on your backup are the installed drivers for the original lap top - which know nothing about the new hardware. The second it tries to boot "wrong drivers" Windows 7 with the "different hardware" computer the system is going to lock up, crash, or BSOD.

If you want Windows 7 on the new lap top you are going to have to find a version of Windows 7 that can be installed on it clean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.