Restoring to another partition : generic host process for win32 error message

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ciccio, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ciccio

ciccio Registered Member

Ciao !

This my first post , so I'd like say hello to everybody and thank all of you for your time and help.

That's my problem :
    - one sata-1 hdd
    - C:\ primary partition ntfs ( with system files : autoexec.bat,ntdetect.com,a.s.o)
    - D:\ wxpsp2 on logical partition ntfs
    - i've made an image of D:\ with ATI's cd on E:\data [ logical partittion ntfs ]
    - i've tried to restore this image from E:\ to another logical partition F:\
    - so , the second system boots but after few seconds i get this message :
    generic host process for win32 error message ..............................( something like this )
    and the system runs very strange.

Searching the windows registries i've understood that the wxp stores a lot of information about the installation partition. So , i can figure out the error comes from here but i have no ideea how to solve it.

Can you help me ? Information , advice , etc .....

ciccio.
    ps: i use for now a trial version , so i cannot ask for official help. But if, i cannot solve this , i ask myself : Does ATI work in any " condition " ??!!??!!!!

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Ciao !

I am trying to understand your setup. Can you please advise....

Do you have a full installation of XP on C: or only the files that you mentioned?

o_O

3. ciccio

ciccio Registered Member

So, my system is on D:\Windows

On C:\ i have only the system files [ AUTOEXEC.BAT , CONFIG.SYS , boot.ini , IO.SYS , MSDOS.SYS , NTDETECT.COM , ntldr ]

I couldn't solve the problem , just in case can you help somehow o_O

1000 Thanks

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

When you restored the image of D to F you now have two identical Windows systems on your hard drive. D is unchanged while F appears as another D.
    At the moment the registry contained within D thinks it is unique and the same applies to F.
    It is not surprising that Windows is confused !
    What is the final position that you want to arrive at?

Xpilot

5. ciccio

ciccio Registered Member

YOU ARE VERY RIGHT Xpilot !!!!

Problem is : i have no idea how to modify the registries , i'm NOT very skillfull doing such a job .

Maybe i must do something before making the image , but even in this case i cannot figure out what i have to do .

So , i want to have an image of my S.O. and being able to restore it on whatever partition i want ; that's my target .
    Have you any kind of information about it ?

Thank you a lot.

nb: right now i'm trying to make another kind of partitions on my HDD , maybe if the partitions are primaries i'll have the solution , who knows ?!?

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If you want to end up with a bootable XP system on D and another XP system on F trying to do this by imaging or even cloning is not the way to do it.
    You can keep yor image on E so you could restore to D if you should run into any problems.
    You need to delete the contents of F. Because it is not usable and will only cause problems.

What you are trying to do is set up a dual boot of two XP installations. The emphasis is on the word installation. True image is not an appropriate tool for this task.
    Having cleared out F drive you could start an install of XP from the XP CD.
    During this process Windows will find the first installation and will offer various choices. I cannot offer you any detailed advice because I have not done such an operation for a long while.
    I suggest you do a bit of research on dual booting with Windows and if it really what you need go ahead by all means. There are also some third party multiple boot programs available that you may prefer to use.
    It is however a Windows process and is not really relevant to True Image.

BTW as you have the boot and systems drives on separate partitions there is a strong suggestion that your computer has had a dual boot installation previously.

Xpilot

7. ciccio

ciccio Registered Member

Once again you are right .

I use a lot dual boot ( i have 2 xp and 1 linux) , and i've been thinking that ATI can give me a hand
    .... but never mind if i can't do it in this maner.( i mean restoring )
    Anyway , i think i'll use it instead of window's back up.

BTW in this moment i've got it : http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/faq/deploy-the-image/
    I'm not very good about administration of xp , so i'll need some time to understand this chapter of FAQ. Let's hope i'll have the answer of my work.

Thank you very much , and i appreciate your very kind of being helpfull !!
    Just let me know if you have some news.

BE MY GUEST IF YOU COME OVER HERE , ITALY IT'S GREAT !

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Ciao Ciccio

Please read the following carefully as it will clarify both the legal and technical position with regards to Windows XP licensing for XP Home and XP Pro. If you have any questions please come back to the Forum.

For the home user there are principally 2 licences:

• OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer
      • this is the type of license that is supplied when you purchase a machine with Windows preinstalled.
      • this license is tied to the BIOS of the machine and therefore cannot be transferred to another machine without the permission of MIcrosoft.
    • FPP - Full Packaged Product
      • this is the type of license that is supplied when you purchase Windows separately to the computer and install it yourself.
      • this license can be transferred between computers without obtaining permission from Microsoft.

In BOTH the above cases you may only install the ONE instance of XP with the same Product Key on the same computer at the same time. If you install the same copy of XP twice on the same machine at the same time, legally you will be in violation of the EULA and technically you will experience problems if both instances are active when you start the computer.

To remain both legally and technically correct the only way that you can have 2 installations of the same license is if you:
    • purchase a spare disk
    • image your system disk using ATI
    • restore the image to your new spare disk
    • swap the two disks when you need to

Having only the original system disk OR the spare disk installed in your system at any point in time ensures that you remain legally within the EULA and that you will not experience any technical issues.

PLEASE NOTE:

The above also applies to a virtual machine such as when you use virtulisation software e.g. VMware

:)

9. ciccio

ciccio Registered Member

Hello Tabvla ,

What can i say anymore ?! No comment , no words ...

To be very honest , i didn't read that kind of EULA(i'll do it now) . I just supposed that once i've paid for my retail license i can use it how i want .
    But , now i'm realy so confused that I HAVE NO WORDS ...
    So , i'm going to clean up my HDD of the second installation of xp .

The only one thing that i've understood in the moment license's puchase is : I CAN NOT USE IT ON 2 PC .
    Anyway , this is not a fair license IMHO . I will call it : license(ns)less ! later edit : read this one ....

Many thanks Tabvla , and i'll take advantage of your advice.
    I say hello for now !

nb : just in case you feel tell me something important DON'T HESITATE .

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.