Restoring to a different size disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JLMann, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLMann

JLMann Registered Member

I keep regular backups using TrueImage. :)

If my hard disk ever crashes, I'm pretty sure I will be buying a bigger disk. Will TrueImage restore an image of a 60Gb diskdrive to a new diskdrive that is much bigger?

Or, supposing I get a good deal on a smaller disk, what about about the other way around? I would guess that it will work as long as the total space on the new disk is more than the size of all the data.

When I run the program it says all kinds of things about restoring the partition that makes me think neither of these will work. o_O Can anyone give me a definite answer?

And, if this will work, are there any tips to look out for?

Thx,

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JLMann,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You can clone your first drive to the second one using the "Disk Clone" wizard. This wizard allows transferring the operating system, applications and data from one disk to another. To clone the first drive to the second one, you must first install the new disk drive in the PC, after that you can move all of the contents of one disk onto the second one with Acronis True Image. When you clone the disk you may choose two ways of cloning: automatic (proportional) and manual. In the first case the space will be distributed proportionally among the partitions. In the second case you can distribute the new disk space manually, this mode allows you to manage partitions in the way you need, but we recommend this way only for professionals.

If you don't want to use "Clone Disk" wizard, you can clone a hard disk by creating its image and restoring it to a new hard disk.

Hopefully informed you well. If you have further questions concerning our software, please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. JLMann

JLMann Registered Member

Irina:

I'm not really interested in partitioning themes because I like to keep my disks sized to the largest partition my OS and controller will support. Right now they don't make disks that big. :D

As of this moment, I don't have any plans to get a new disk till the old one quits. Obviously, that implies that cloning won't work because the old disk will no longer be any good to copy from. :(

Therefore, the only option is a restore from image. Although you indicate that this will work, its not obvious to me that it really answers my question in a way that I can clearly understand. What I really need is a clear answer to these questions:

1. Will trueimage restore the image of one size disk to a different new disk that is bigger or smaller than the original, or does the new disk really need to be the exactly the same size?

2. If the size does not matter, are there any special precautions I need to take to make sure I can do this. I don't want to be experimenting when I am in trouble. :doubt:

Thanks, JLMann

4. Acronis Support

Hello JLMann,

You have the image file of your old hard drive and you want to restore it to the new one, am I correct? Yes you can restore this image to the new hard drive, the new hard drive may be smaller or bigger, please note that the hard drive should be at least the same size as the uncompressed image data.

There are not special precautions, you should only run "Restore Image" wizard and follow the instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  5. JLMann

JLMann Registered Member

Great! Thank you for the info. :D

I'll stop worrying so much about my disk crashing. If and when it does, I now know I can just go buy any drive that suits my fancy as long as there is room on it for the data in my image, I can restore to it. :D

Cheers,

JLMann

6. Acronis Support

Hello JLMann,

We are always at your service should you have any further questions.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.