restoring .Tib images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by maryann, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryann

maryann Guest

Probably a very stupid question- but here goes: I made a FULL system backup to my external drive. It produced 5 .Tib files. Now, when I want to restore the full system, do I restore every.Tib file separatly, or can I just take the first one and acronis finds the other 4? Thanks very much

2. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

I'm presuming by your post you 'broke' the image by setting the size of the .tib files. As you say they are on a separate hard drive just click on the first file or last file, and it should start the restore. Only other thing that would make the program split the files, would be if the external hard drives file system was FAT32 and you were imaging over 16GBs, so the files would be split to 4GB max each. Either way, the above 'should' work.

Someone else correct me If I'm wrong on this advice.

Allen L.

3. maryann

maryann Guest

yes, I restored to external drive with fat 32. Resulted in 5 Tib images, with 4 GB each. Can I now assume I need to only click on 1 of the Tib images and my whole system will be restored, instead of clicking 5 images? Thanks again

4. Allen L.

Clicking on one image tib file is enough, and it should find and restore the others, if all in the same location, as they will be labeled with a number before the .tib extension, 1-5.

Allen L.

5. maryann

maryann Guest

Thanks very much for your time and troubles. Almost scared to ask, but- is it better to backup the system from the startup disks or cd, or in windows? Is there any difference? I thank you again

6. Allen L.

I personally backup from Windows, as that was one of Acronis' strong 'selling' points that other imaging programs followed. Have had no problems with this method, as of yet. :)

Since you appear to be using an external hard drive you should have a safe backup storage as long as you keep the hard drive unplugged so if anything happens, such as electrical surges, your external drive would not be affected.

I don't use any compression as I backup the image to an internal hard drive (not as safe as yours), but with the image of my data partition D, I split it to 700MB images using compression, store to my internal hard drive and then burn to CDR disks. All done under Windows.

Only restores I've made have been to Operating System, and of course I use the boot CD for that...I don't use the 'Secure Zone' as people report problems with it, and I never use the incremental for the same reason.

Hope this helps you...Allen L.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi there,
    Allow me to add that, provided your o/s hasn't been trashed, you can choose to start TI under Windows and restore your active partition. TI will then reboot into rescue mode (Linux) same as the boot CD. I find this more convenient than changing my mobo's BIOS to boot from CD and then resetting it after a successful restore.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.