Restoring Split Images & Testing Restore Function

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Zorak, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorak

Zorak Registered Member

Hi all. I'm new to Drive Backup Pro 10, courtesy of the recent giveaway (thanks Paragon!!) and have some questions.

I've read in a couple of other threads that there is a Linux kernel limitation which prevents splitting images greater than 2GB. Does this limit also apply when restoring images? Can I create a single image greater than 2GB using DB Pro in Windows and still restore it to an NTFS drive sucessfully using the Linux Recovery CD?

Also, short of actually performing a full restore, what is the best way to test that my system can correctly restore an image using the Recovery CD? I have booted from the CD and restored a couple of files with no problem. Is this good enough or would fully mounting the image in the Linux environment be a better test?

Thanks in advance.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I don't think you can mount the image with the Linux cd.

You can restore an unsplit backup image with the Linux dvd.

You can't create an unsplit image with the Linux cd - it splits to 2gb by default.

Why not use the WinPe boot disc instead?

3. Zorak

Zorak Registered Member

Thanks SIW2 for your response.

I hadn't used the WinPE disc because the "Check Recovery CD" function in DB Pro was reporting my created disks as: "This media is NOT a bootable recovery disk". However I have now just tried booting with one, and guess what? - it IS a bootable disk. There is obviously a bug in Drive Backup's checking function on my setup.

As a general rule, is restoring under the WinPE environment quicker or slower than under Linux? I have a pretty old computer which only just meets the WinPE requirements, so I assumed it might struggle a bit.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You will be fine doing restores with the Linux cd.

I haven't timed them both , but the Linux cd works fine for me. You might give the WIPe cd a go and see if your machine struggles when creating/restoring an image.

It's only if you want to make an image from a boot disc without splitting - then use the WinPe cd.

The Linux cd will split an image you create - not that it really matters.

The only way to be really sure is to create and then restore an image - preferably an o/s partition.

Easy for me as I keep my partitions quite small - typically 25 -30 gb for my o/s partitions - often they only contain 12 -16 gb used space.

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hello i guss you get confused WinPE cd is found in paragon site you can download it after registering to it

please check it as i dont want to make a double post

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=269237

while making write cds or dvd it give warning that is wont add bootloader in writing cd/dvd

6. Zorak

Zorak Registered Member

Hi mack guy911.

I created the WinPE disk using the tool downloaded from the Paragon site. First I used the tool to burn a recovery disk and checked it using the "Check Recovery Discs" function within Drive Backup. It reported that the disk was not bootable. I then used the same tool to create an ISO file and used the "Recovery Media Builder" within Drive Backup to create a second disk using the WinPE ISO.

Both disks ended up booting my machine and appear to work perfectly. Trouble is they are both reported as NOT being bootable when checked using the "Check Recovery Discs" function. This incorrectly led me to believe that they wouldn't work.

I'm happy now that i have both Linux and WinPE environments to restore from as the more recovery options I have the better. The problem lies with Drive Backup not recognising them as being bootable recovery disks when I check them.

Cheers.

7. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

The tool to check the validity of recovery disks only works for the Linux based disks, not the WinPE disk, it does not specifically check to see if any given disk is bootable.

Have you tried using it on a Linux based recovery disk?

8. Zorak

Zorak Registered Member

Thanks Paragon Matt for the reply.

Yes I have checked the Linux Disk and it is correctly reported as being a bootable recovery disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.