Restoring Raid 0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ddealer27, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddealer27

ddealer27 Registered Member

I have an Asus P4P800 MB with 2 Maxtor 120 gig sata drives in a Raid 0 configuration. After running a disk ck program several months ago I started getting an error on one of the raid volumes during the boot. I also get an error message in windows warning of a possible drive failure.

My backup is on an ATA drive, and I would like to reinstall my system with a different stripe size. Since I do not want to rewrite my bad boot sectors, what steps should I follow to repair the drive and restore my system using TI v.8?

From the posts I've read, it sounds like I should reinstall XP in a non raid config., then restore the system and migrate to raid 0.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ddealer27,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The answer to your question depends on whether the stripe size is implemented on chipset level or on higher (software) level. We haven't tested your scenario taking into account that the RAID is implemented on BIOS level, there should be no problems cause Windows itself should not "feel" the stripe size. You may just create the image of the current system, change the stripe size and then restore the image.

Even if something goes wrong you will be able to change the stripe size back and roll back to the current state.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. ddealer27

ddealer27 Registered Member

Raid is set in bios. Once I change the stripe size I lose everything on the drive.

I assume that I should change the stripe size & boot from the rescue CD and then restore the system?

How do I avoid restoring the bad boot sector, or do you have any ideas on how to repair it?

Sorry about all the questions, I had been using Disk Image and it did not work with my raid volumes so I switched to True Image.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, ddealer27

I run my Reaid0 at 16X16 [stripe & cluster]

I think you have that backward, it you was to do it that way round your Image would not have the Raid Controllers [F6], unless you install to Pata then show the OS the Sata Raid Array which will make it ask you to update the drivers for a new device [mass storage unit, the Array] which will then be on the Pata, you can then either Clone the Pata to Sata Raid0, [then make an Image of it] or image the Pata and copy the Image to the Sata.

Don't forget when you format to make the clusters the same as the stripe.
    You could try PowerMax that what I use with my Maxtors:- ATA Hard Drives Software Downloads -:Have read to see if it works with your chipset.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ddealer27,

Yes, you have to boot from CD and then start restoration. Please try to make TheQuest's suggestion to performs diagnostic verifications.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.