Restoring programs and files from an image file?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Nuobu, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Nuobu

Nuobu Registered Member

Hello there,

I'm really in need of some help with this problem.

My desktop stopped functioning recently and I can't seem to fix the boot problem, so instead, I was hoping I could somehow make a copy of my programs and certain files.

I don't seem to have permission to access my user folder for some reason, that's the first problem.

Secondly, I'm not sure if there is even a way to retrieve a program without having to reinstall it to my new hard drive?

Can anybody tell me if this is possible please?

Thank you greatly,

Nuobu

2. Nuobu

Nuobu Registered Member

EDIT:

Sorry, I just worked out I needed to check enable read and write within Macrium Reflect to get permission to all folders, now I just need to know if I can capture my programs from an image without using an actual restore?

3. TheRollbackFrog

TheRollbackFrog Registered Member

Since most of your programs have unique settings and DEFAULTs that are most likely located elsewhere in your Macrium image, just restoring your programs to a new disk would not be very useful... reinstallation would be most likey needed.

BUT... whay aren't you restoring your good image back to any disk (new or old)... that's what imaging is for?

4. Nuobu

Nuobu Registered Member

I have an image I can use but I forgot to update it recently, so there's some stuff I will miss out if I use the last one I captured.

If I moved absolutely everything from the image onto a new disk in the correct location, would it would work properly at all?

Thanks for your help

5. TheRollbackFrog

I guess I'm not clear when you say MOVE everything from the image to a new disk. If your NEW DISK is on the same System (and is replacing the old one), a standard System image restoration to the new disk should work just fine. If you're talking about moving files (copy'n'paste) from an image to a new System, your success will be very limited, especially where Applications are concerned.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  6. Nuobu

Nuobu Registered Member

Yes, apologies, I meant move as in copy'n'paste.

How would I restore all the necessary files for my programs (from my hard disk which won't boot) without restoring broken Windows files?

Is it possible to restore the Windows files from the backup image I have and then restore my programs folder from my current hard disk onto a new hard disk or do you think I will be missing some files that way?

I'm not sure of the best way to approach this...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  7. TheRollbackFrog

@Nuobu - let's start from the beginning here... I have some questions.

1. Apparently you have a Macrium REFLECT image of your unBOOTable disk, correct? If so, how old is it? And if not too old, would you be satisfied getting your System running again with that image's point in time? Also, is this image on some other disk than the one that has the unBOOTable System partition? Do you have a Macrium REFLECT Recovery Media (CD/DVD or UFD <USB Flash Disk>)?

2. I'm guessing your System became unBOOTable after your image above was taken, yes? If so, the image should be good for restoration on your unBOOTable disk, if your System became unBOOTable for some sort of software reason and not a hardware failure. If it is a hardware failure, do you have a replacement disk?

3. What version of Windows are you running, and is it a store bought machine or did you build it yourself?

Let's start from here and move forward... this information will give me a better idea on how best to proceed with your problem.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  8. Nuobu

Nuobu Registered Member

Ok, thank you...

1. That's sort of correct, I have a USB recovery media, which is 'booting' my unBOOTable hard disk in the WInPE enviroment, where I've tried to fix the problem to no avail. I'm going to create an image when I pick up the desktop from a computer repair shop, next week (they don't have a clue what to do with it.)

The image I have is 2 years old but it has most of my important data on it, It has most of my programs on it, so it's not too old and I wouldn't mind getting that restore point back, at least as a starting point.

The image is currently on a hard drive but I was going to use the same hard drive to store a newer image of the unbootable hard disk, simply for convenience.

Yes, I have a flash disk.

2. Yes, the image I have was taken before the problems. But the newer programs are only on the broken hard disk, which I can access using the recovery media.

The PC repair shop said I can try to put the backup image onto my current hard disk and if not, I will be able to get a replacement. They advised against taking an image from the hard disk and putting it on a new one and they also said Windows was damaged, so they seem to think it's a software problem but at first they thought it was hardware, so I'm quite confused about that.

3. I'm running Windows 7 home premium, it's a store bought machine. I need to run this OS for all of my programs to work.

Thank you again, I hope this information helps

9. TheRollbackFrog

@Nuobu - can you describe the System failure... what happened to the System that led to the non-BOOTable System (what did you do last), and what exactly happens when you try and BOOT the non-BOOTable System (describe what happens during the attempted BOOT process... the screen, any thing relevant)?

10. Nuobu

Nuobu Registered Member

Yeah, sure

The system kept turning off randomly shortly after start-up. The last thing that I remember changing was within BIOS, I changed the Bus Options tab from PCI SERR# GENERATION from ENABLE to DISABLE. I did this to fix a problem with a PCI Expansion chassis I was using.

Later, the system would begin to boot but would get to the Windows loading screen and go blank, as if the HDMI connection had come lose. I tried to re-position the HDMI PCI-e card but then realised it was a more serious problem.

Sometimes it would give me a message 'a recent hardware change has caused the system to malfunction.'

So, I remembered the bootable media, used it and tried to fix any Windows boot problem but after doing that, the system would no longer get past the HP logo, it just shows the HP logo again and again, like it is stuck on loop. It's like it doesn't know where to boot from, no matter how I change the boot order.

Thank you

11. TheRollbackFrog

@Nuobu - what you're describing really sounds like a hardware issue, not a software issue. I would do the following... image your unBOOTable disk using the Macrium Recovery Media to some storage somewhere. I would then RESTORE your 2-yr old image to that unBOOTable disk and reBOOT your System. If it's a hardware issue, it will rear its ugly head once again, if not, you will have a 2-yr old stable System and an image of anything important that may be on the unBOOTable System. That image may be mounted and you can scrape off anything that may be of use.

As I mentioned earlier, newer programs on that unBOOTable image will be hard to bring over as many of them place important app-dependent information off in special System folders and most of them will put entries in the unBOOTable System's REGISTRY which can be hard to pick apart and find all that's needed.

At this point I can't offer any other guidance as far as your issues are concerned, but PCI expansion chassis with potential problems and BiOS changes tend to make me think you have a hardware issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.