Restoring multiple partitions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by RootAccess, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

I have a computer that has three partitions including the C drive. I use Macrium Reflect and imaged those three partitions. I'm afraid if I do a restore I won't be able to fit everything because I think everything would be restored onto the C drive only. How do I do a restore where each partition replaces its corresponding partition? I'm using Macrium Reflect free edition but will consider other software if necessary.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

When you do a restore, you can choose which partition to restore to. If you have multiple partitions, perhaps you may need to do multiple restores.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

When you restore each partition, you choose where it is to be restored - an existing partition or unallocated free space.

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

My advice is to partition the new drive first and then restore each partition one at a time. Just make sure each partition is larger than the original partition you want to restore. Thats the best and foolproof way to do it.

If I have a saved image of a 20gb partition, I will want to restore it on a 21gb partition. This doesnt apply to true image, true image can restore to a smaller partition (as long as the use data will fit). Most free image software wont let you fit a larger partition onto a smaller partition.

5. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

The hard drive I'm restoring to is smaller than the hard drive I imaged.

6. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

How much smaller is it? I believe the newest version of Macrium will restore to smaller partitions provided the minimum restore size will work for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.