Restoring Image after partitioning and formatting.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Faith007, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faith007

Faith007 Registered Member

I want to partition and format my HDD and then restore the image that is contained on my True Image image file.
    Question: Do I have to partition and format the drive as a separate process before I even use True Image, or will True Image take care of the Partitioning and Formatting for me? If the latter, please tell me how.
    I use version 9, build 2337.
    Thanks.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

No you don't have to partition and format. The Recovery process takes care of that. But you will, of course, have to boot with the bootable TI Rescue cd to perform the Recovery.

3. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hello Faith007,

As Ralphie ATI wi take care of formating the drive. Also during the restoration you can resize the partition if needed. Would like to mention that you can start the restoration under Windows, however ATI will promt you to reboot PC to restore the system partition so you can start to restore from Bootable CD to save time (of course if you have a CD drive :), if not restore from Windows...all be fine)

You would also probably like to get a latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which you can get from Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site, if you registered your serial number. Create a new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

_Kento_

4. Faith007

Thanks Ralphie.
    Do I have to specify that it partition and format or will it do that automatically?

Is that bootable rescue CD the same as the installation CD or is it the one you create by clicking Tools - Create Bootable Rescue Media or could you use either?

5. _Kento_

Faith007,

No, do not. When you restore the image of the disk/partition ATI formats the destination disk/partition and after that restore data. Also if you imaged for example NTFS partition the restored partition will also be NFTS. You can make only the following file system conversions with ATI: FAT 16 ↔ FAT 32, Ext2 ↔ Ext3. Me personally fine this option useless.

If you could explain what do you mean by "partition and format my HDD" I or another members will advice what to do. Tell us how many partitions you have now (before restore) and what partition structure you want to get after restoration?

_Kento_

6. Faith007

Kento:

Thanks for your post.
    Before I got my new PC a few months ago, whenever I wanted to reinstall all the SW on my PC, I first used fdisk to partition the Hard Drive and then the format command at the DOS prompt to format it. I did this to ensure that any virus that may have been on the drive was completely eradicated.
    But now that I have a new Win XP based PC and am using ATI, I need to know what the procedure is for performing the same thing. It sounds like you are saying that simply running the restoration will accomplish all three at once: partitioning, formatting and restoring. Is that what you meant?

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Yes, that's what Kento meant.

When you restore a whole disk image (the box next to Disk 1 checked on imaging as well as on restoring), you get the disk in full working order and in the same state it was in when the image was created, without any other actions needed prior to the restore.

Of course, whatever was present on disk (say, a virus) at the time the image was created, will be back again after the restore. A restore will not give you a clean system as a reformat and fresh install of Windows would; it will only revert the system drive back to a previous state, however healthy or not it was at that time. But then, one normally creates images when the drive is healthy - for the very purpose to be able to revert to a healthy state should anything happen.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  8. Faith007

That clarifies it for me. Thanks for your post.

9. _Kento_

Right, bVolk, nothing to add.

_Kento_

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.