Restoring Hidden Files Using Recovery Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by linknet, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linknet

linknet Registered Member

I'm using TrueImage 9.0 build 2337.

How do I restore individual hidden files using the Recovery Disk. I booted from the Recovery disk, selected Acronis Secure Zone, selected the image I required, chose to Restore Specified Files or Folders, chose to restore to original location then browsed the resultant file listing. But no hidden files are shown !!!
    I can do this from within Windows by enabling show hidden and system files before starting TrueImage - so the hidden files are actually in the backup image.
    I know I can restore the complete partition but when Windows refuses to start,as in this case, it is quite often only files like boot.ini (hidden, system) that need restoring.

Regards

Roger

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Roger,

Firstly, please start TI in Windows mode and go to Tools > Options > Default backup options > Source files exclusion and advise us which checkboxes you have got ticked.

Regards

3. linknet

All of the Checkboxes are ticked. I thought that these checkboxes only applied when doing a file by file backup. I am backing up using the System Full Backup which I thought would backup all files irrespective of this setting.

Looking at it more closely it is only the hidden files in the root of the C:\ drive which do not show using the Recovery Disk. The Recycler and System Volume Information folders and all their hidden contents show up ok. !

Regards

Roger

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  4. Menorcaman

Hi again Roger,

You are correct; the files and folders exclusions only apply to Files and Folders backups. It wasn't clear from your original post whether you were attempting to restore from a Disk/Partition image or from a Files/Folders image. I assumed (wrongly it turns out) that you were restoring files from a Files/Folders backup and I needed confirmation that the missing Hidden, System files had actually been included in the image.

So, I can now confirm that, even using Build 3677, you can see and restore the Hidden, System files from the root of a Disk/Partition image when using True Image from within Windows but, for some reason, not after booting into the Linux based rescue environment. Perhaps Acronis Support could confirm whether this is "by design" or a "bug". If it's the former then perhaps they would like to explain why?

Regards

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  5. linknet

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that exactly describes the problem.
    Is there any way to communicate this directly to Acronis Support or do you just wait for them to pick it up in this forum ?

Regards

Roger

6. Menorcaman

Personally, I would wait a couple of days to see whether or not Acronis Support pick it up here. If they don't then I suggest you contact support@acronis.com, explain your findings and include a link to this thread.

Regards

7. linknet

Ok. Thanks for your help. Will wait and see for few days.

Regards

Roger

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that, as I have already mentioned in this previous thread, this problem is known and will be fixed in the future builds\versions of Acronis True Image. We are very sorry for the current inconvenience. I'll certainly let you know you know when the fixed build will be available.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. Menorcaman

Thank you Alexey. I had forgotten all about that previos thread :p. Mind you, that was flagged up in April and there have been a number of new builds since then, so it's a bit disappointing to see it's not fixed yet.

Kind regards

10. linknet

Thanks for the reply. When you state "will be fixed in the future builds" will it actually be fixed in the next build since this is quite an important bug to fix. With a non-starting version of windows you are left with having to carry out a complete restoration whereas it probably only requires one or two system files replacing.

Regards

Roger

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Roger,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I'm afraid that the exact time frame for this fix to be implemented is not decided yet. However, I've reminded our Development Team about this issue once more and believe that it will be fixed in the nearest future. We are very sorry if it causes you any inconveniences.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.