Restoring from older backups

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by beegrinder, Jun 9, 2014.

1. beegrinder

beegrinder Registered Member

I used Backup & Recovery 2010 for several years
    Then went to 2013 free
    and now 2014 free
    (I always do a full uninstall prior to installing the new version, all were on Windows 7)

None of the versions seem to be able to restore from backups made by the previous version. Is this intentional?

I can no longer install the older versions, the installer just exits.

Can I get a restore utility for the older backup formats?

Other than the 2010 version, these were all the free version, does the commercial version also act like this? This is a great backup utility, but I can't buy the new version if the product will not recover from backups over a year old or allow installation of the older version. Or, at least provide a stand alone recovery tool for the older backups.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I haven´t used B&R (I use Hard Disk Manager) but AFAIK, the traditional PBF format wasn´t changed from version 13 to 14. You should be able to restore images created with 13 from 14. Try also with the Linux boot medium, select the .PFI file to restore.

As for the install problems, they happen frequently in Paragon programs. One usual advice is to uninstall before installing the new version, but you are already doing this. In HDM 14, the problems were apparently solved with the latest update.

3. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Quite the contrary. All new versions of the program can recover any backups older versions. (furthermore, sometimes older versions of the program can restore backups of new versions. Paragon not confirms it, but I rely on my own experience)

4. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

Please check that you select "Restore" wizard from "Backup&Restore' tab to resore .PBF archive. Probably you are trying to restore your archives with "Restore from VD" wizard which is designed for ne VD Container backup format.

5. skulldrinker

skulldrinker Registered Member

I had problems and I had to install the other version on a different computer so I could make the restore disks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.