restoring from network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by baraba, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baraba

baraba Registered Member

Try to restore imagfrom network drive and I found image under computer near me tab, but TI need to reboot to perform task and then there is only computer near me tab but nothing else(can't see network drive), so can't restore image.
    Any solutions?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. Ron57

Ron57 Registered Member

Ilya -

I am having the same problem. The reference you give is to the server edition of Acronis. Is this correct?

Also, if I want to restore the partition that has the operation system (in my case C), then I have to be able to boot into windows to copy the files from the 2nd computer.

One of the reasons you might want to boot to the CD and restore the C drive is that the C drive would not boot. Then how do you copy the files from the 2nd machine.

The disaster recovery CD doesn't appear to be capable of disaster recovery from the network.

Ron Spruell

4. Acronis Support

Hello Ron,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

The link I have posted is correct for both Acronis True Image Server and Acronis True Image.

If you want to restore the image you don't need to be able boot into Windows. You need to be able to boot Acronis Bootable CD. It supports network and you may restore directly from the network drive.

If you experience any difficulties with network restoring please send the description of the problem to support@acronis.com. Acronis Support Team will certainly help you to solve the issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Of course it can. I do all my backups and restores from a NAS.

If for some reason the machine doesn't show up in the graphical network browser, you should be able to just type in the address of it manually.
    e.g. \\foo\path_to_backup\

6. Ron57

Ron57 Registered Member

Been there, done that!

When I boot to the Acronis boot CD, and start the restore wizard I can see the "Computers near me", but when I click on it – nada, nothing. I type the name in \\Cnet\Miscdisk2, nothing. I type in the name \\Cnet\Miscdisk2\XP0501197, nothing.
    I type in the name \\Cnet\Miscdisk2\XP0501197.tib, still nothing.

I go to tools options, I see Network Adapters. Under that is eth0. I click on that, and I see:

Network Adapter: (long name, looks good)
    Hardware Address: (looks good)
    DHCP: Used
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS Suffix: br.no.cox.net
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers: 192.168.0.1

I cannot change anything on this page.

When booting normally under Windows, I can restore other partitions that are not in use, and I can see the C drive backup on the other computer.

So what's my next move? Email support?

Ron

7. Acronis Support

Hello Ron,

I suppose to send a letter to support@acronis.com will be the best way to solve the problem. In this letter please describe what happens when you click on the "+" near "Computers near me icon". Also please give the link to this thread in the letter you will send. If you don't get any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please send me a PM with your Acronis request # and I will find out the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Ron57

Ron57 Registered Member

Ilya -

I have been corresponding with Acronis Tech Support. No answer yet other than "This issue has been forwarded to our development team."

I have had one system crash since all this started, but luckily I had an image on the same computer and was able to restore.

I will post back when I have the answer, if there is one.

Ron

9. Acronis Support

Hello Ron,

Could you please send me a PM with your Acronis request #. I will try to find out the reason for the delay with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. Ron57

Ron57 Registered Member

Iyla -

I now have a workaround, but just sent another set of questions to Tech Support.

Acronis uses SMB protocol. According to http://samba.anu.edu.au/cifs/docs/what-is-smb.html,
    "SMB can be used over TCP/IP, NetBEUI and IPX/SPX. If TCP/IP or NetBEUI are in use, the NetBIOS API is being used."

When I use the boot CD to boot the Primary Machine, I have to change the network settings on the Secondary Machine (Windows 98 SE). When I make these changes, I can see the Secondary Machine.

I use NetBEUI for my LAN (for security reasons) and TCP/IP for my WAN. Under the NetBEUI protocol I have "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" Bindings checked. I do NOT have "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" Bindings checked under TCP/IP Protocol.

In order for me to see the Secondary Machine from the Primary Machine (booted on the Boot CD), I have to Bind "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" under TCP/IP.

I hope that this is just a temporary "fix". I hope Acronis Tech Support has a better answer.

Ron

11. Ron57

Ron57 Registered Member

Iyla -

Thanks for you help.

I am going to post my interpretaion of the answer I got from Acronis Support. I can't possibly be the only one using NetBUEI Protocol for my small LAN.

The steps for a secure LAN are located here
    http://www.w3schools.com/site/site_security.asp

If your network uses NetBUEI Protocol, then the steps to restore from the Acronis Boot CD are:

1. Turn off modem, or disconnect from the internet.
    2. Configure the Secondary Machine (where the backup files are located.) for NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
    -----------------
    For Windows 98 SE:
    Click on Start/Settings/Control Panel/
    Highlight TCP/IP
    Click on Properties
    Click on the NetBIOS Tab
    Check "I want to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
    Click on the Bindings Tab
    Check "Client for Microsoft Networks"
    Check "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
    Click on OK twice and reboot.

Boot Primary Machine from Acronis Boot CD.
    ------------------------------------------
    Or, for Windows XP
    Click on Start/Control Panel/Network Connections
    Click on appropriate network
    Click on Properties
    Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Click on Properties
    Click on Advanced
    Click on WINS Tab
    Check Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    Click on OK/OK/Close and reboot.

Boot Primary Machine from Acronis Boot CD.
    ------------------------------------------
    3. Restore Image to Primary Machine.
    4. Boot Primary Machine to Normal.
    5. Undo changes made to Secondary Machine in step 2.
    6. Reboot Secondary Machine.
    7. The network is now secure. Connect to the Internet.

Ron

12. Acronis Support

Hello Ron,

Glad to hear you have solved the problem. We do appreciate your readiness to share the experience with others.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.