Restoring from an archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by theslaz, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theslaz

theslaz Registered Member

Now that I have been able to make an incremental backup of my original main archive; I have a question about restoring that archive. I've pulled up the instructions and this is what it tells me:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To restore data from an incremental backup, you must have all previous incremental backup files and the initial full backup. If any of successive backups is missing, restoration is not possible.
    • To restore data from a differential backup, you must have the initial full backup as well.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now if I back up my computer everyday; does this mean that I have to keep all those archives from day one. My first incremental backup that I did today is 1/4 gig in size. When can I start to delete some of these files. It just can't keep going on forever!

2. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

One way around your problem is to schedule backups every day (or as you like).

For example. A Full backup on a Sunday, and every other day of the week an incremental. Once a week your full backup will be overwritten plus the incrementals as they are scheduled. So you will always have only one full and six incremental backups.
    HTH
    John

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You need the Full and the incs associated with it -- the ones that are incremental to it. If you make a new Full, you can get rid of the old full and all the incs you made based on that Full. In fact, one you delete the Full, the associated incs are orphans and useless. But you only need a complete set (a Full and its incs) to be able to restore from an inc.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello theslaz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that you can find detailed information about full, incremental and differential backups in chapter 3.2 "Full, incremental and differential backups" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.