Restoring Dynamic Disk Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Lizard, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizard

Lizard Registered Member

Hi all

I am using Acronis True Image Server version 8 (Build 764).

I have a Windows 2000 Domain Controller with Dynamic Disk Partitions who I imaged using Acronis. I am attempting to restore the image in a different environment (for our test lab)

I am able to successfully browse the tib file of the image, whereby it brings up the DYNAMIC tag plus correctly indicating to me what the structure of the image is (C: drive, D: drive, E: drive)

When it comes to the screen about "Partition or Disk to restore" - it lists my Dynamic Volumnes (C: D: E:) but the option to select the entire disk is not there...

All I want to do is to restore this image - I read that I should be able to take the image of a Dynamic Drive, but restore it as a Basic Drive - but it is not even giving me that option.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

2. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

Lizard,

We only use Dynamic Disk where I work. Yes, you are not able to select the whole disk to restore when using Dynamic Disk. I am not sure why this is (whether it is by design or a technical limitation), but you cannot do that. Maybe support can tell us? I know you can do this with Basic disk. However, after you select the C: drive to restore, for example, it will ask you if you want to restore another partition. Basically, you have to keep doing this until all your partitions are restored. It will restore all the partitions as one task, so don't worry about that. As for how it restores, it will restore Dynamic as Basic, but you will not see an option for this while restoring...it just does it. After the OS comes back up after the restore, you can then manually convert the disk back to Dynamic. I hope this helps!

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Lizard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

The behaviour you described is caused by the fact that Dynamic disk structure is different from Basic one. The way proposed by napoleon should work for you. It allows you to restore your disk with all partitions.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Lizard

Lizard Registered Member

okay.. I did do this, restored multiple partitions - but when I try to boot off it after, it does not recognise there being a ntoskrnl, and i am not able to run P2V successfully on the virtual drive as it does not recognise there being a valid OS on it.

5. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

Lizard,

When I first used TI, I got this error as well. For me, it was the result of me not restoring the partitions in the right state (Active, Primary, and Logical). What works for me is restoring C: as Active, and D: as Primary.

6. Acronis Support

Hello Lizard,

Could you please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? We will investigate your partition structure and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Lizard

Lizard Registered Member

i do not get this at all and this is wasting a lot of time

i tried to reimage it again, restored, selecting c: as active, another partition (D) as primary, and others as logical drives... doesnt work

8. Acronis Support

Hello Lizard ,

We also strongly recommend you to update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server to the 826 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product.

If you sent the letter to support@acronis.com, please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply. If you didn't send the letter, please create Acronis Report and send it to us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.