RESTORING backup in SECURITY ZONE OVER NETWORK

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BrownChiLD, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrownChiLD

BrownChiLD Registered Member

Hi guys

With Acronis TI 9, is it possible to restore a backup over the network? Not only that, I would like to restore a backup on a PC over the network located in its security zone.. is this possible?

also.. since the Acronis StartUP recovery requires a SECURITY ZONE on the computer itself.. i plan to create a small security zone just for this purpose (Start Up Recovery feature), but plan to use an image over the network to do recovery.. this possible?

thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BrownChiLD,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that it's impossible to implement your plan.

Acronis True Image 9.0 allows you to restore an image which locates in the network, however, you can't restore an image of another computer remotelly. We would like to note that you will not be able to access the image in Acronis Secure Zone remotely too.

Please find more detailed information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. BrownChiLD

Ok.. i understand the first part.. that Acronis Security Zone will not show over the network.. but this part:

worries me.. need clarification..

What I intend to atleast do is, setup a PC with everything, create ONE image (MASTER IMAGE) of that PC, and then use that image and restore in on all the other PCs in the network (which is exactly the same specs).. kinda like NORTON GHOST's feature to do so.. so i need not painfully go trhough setting up EACH of the 40 units on the network.

I plan to put the "MASTER IMAGE" on the server and RESTORE IT on each of the UNITS.. like

PC1, >restore image>image over the network (server)> restore to C:

etc etc etc..

is this not possibleo_Oo_O

please advise

4. Acronis Support

Hello BrownChiLD,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Using Acronis True Image9.0 you can do the following:

-Create an image;
    -Save the image on the server;
    -Boot the computer which you want to restore from the bootable rescue media locally;
    -Specify the image location which you want to restore.
    -Restore the computer.

Please be aware that according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used.

We would like to recommend you to use Acronis Snap Deploy.

It allows you to create the master image of the standard configuration, including the operating system and all applications and then deploy that image to multiple systems simultaneously.

Acronis Snap Deploy also provides configuration management tools to configure system settings, manage files, and execute applications on systems throughout the network.

You can find more detailed information on how to use Acronis Snap Deploy in the respective User's Guide.

Please download Acronis Snap Deploy trial version in order to see how the program works.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. BrownChiLD

clarification on this one please.. i do not plan to install acronis on all computers.. i plan to install it on one computer and use the bootable media for the rest.. is this ok? or will it require licenses as well?

thank you very much.. looks like app deploy fits my purposes better.. i think.. will look into that...

6. BrownChiLD

additional question regarding app deploy..

im sorry, but i fail to see what is the difference between TrueImage and Snap Deploy? They both seem to simply restore images.. locally or over the network..

I did notice that restoring an image of one system on a different bare bone system with DIFFERENT SPECS causes problems.. which are probably due to hardware differences... will Snap Deploy be any different?

Thank you for your patience with my queries.

7. Acronis Support

Hello BrownChiLD,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that as Tatyana has already mentioned above "according to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used". It means that you should purchase one license per every computer you plan to backup\restore using Acronis True Image 9.0 independently of whether you are going to install the application or use Bootable Rescue CD.

The major difference between these products is that Acronis Snap Deploy allows you to deploy a "master" image to several remote computers over the network controlling the deployment process from one main machine, while Acronis True Image 9.0 can only be used locally for the restoration of the image archive located on a remote computer which can be accessed over the network. Please read Acronis Snap Deploy User's Guide in order to learn more on how to use this product.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. BrownChiLD

thank you acronis support.. licensing situation understood.. looking into snap deploy now..

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi BrownChiLD,

You need to be aware of the "gotcha" associated with TI's snap deploy (or Snap Restore as it's called in the User's Guide) feature. I strongly recommend you read this previous thread titled <Partition has been deleted after Image Restore **PLEASE HELP**> before using it.

Regards

10. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

I think you may have misunderstood the Support post where it suggested the use of Snap Deploy. This is not referring to the Snap Restore function of True Image. It is a completely separate Acronis image building and deployment product. It uses (what appears to be) TI's imaging component to build 'master' images and can then deploy those images simultaneously to many machines.:cool:

11. BrownChiLD

thanks all..

read the snap deploy thing.. and well i must say.. i think i'll be better of with plain old acronis.. i wont mind walking up to the stations to do an f11 boot and restore an image from that. app deploy is just too confusing and complex with all the components etc..(though i've understood all them).. also it was hard to become familiar at first.. im sure it has great use for certain multiPC managing situations.. but i guess not mine.. thanks..

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Oz,

Oops! You're absolutely right. Thanks for pointing that out. If I had read Alexey's post more carefully I would have seen that his link referred to the Snap Deploy User's Guide not the True Image User's Guide :oops:.

Appologies to everyone for any confussion I may have caused.

Regards

13. BrownChiLD

:) t's quite alright my friend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.