restoring backed up folders

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by booch11, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booch11

booch11 Registered Member

hi folks:
    using TI 9.0 - xp pro.
    i backed up about 40GB of folders - took about two hours - not bad at all.
    however, i noted that the 40 GB was broken into 9 .tib files.
    the first one has taken, so far, 90 minutes to restore - and i'm not close to finishing (if the progress bar is a true indication). after taking 90 minutes to verify the file, it appears it'll be at least another 90 minutes to actually restore the file (times 9 -- that's over 27 hours to restore 40 gb).
    i did choose to verify the first tib file - and won't do that for the rest.
    why does it take so long?
    better question - should it take this long?
    please advise.
    booch11

2. booch11

some additional info on my post - i backed the files/folders up to an 80gb external hd

3. booch11

more from booch....
    another quick note..... the restore function of mybackup1 (the first of nine) is still, after 30 minutes, telling my is "operation in progress 0%"
    not knowing how long it'll take to do the first of 9 .tib files, i will need to revise my original estimate of over 27 hours - i could behere the rest of my life.
    any ideas?

4. booch11

after two hours and the operation in progress still at 0%, i cancelled the operation. starting over and am not going to check to see if files are valis=d this time around. any moderators in the house? i sure could use some help.

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

On an old, slow computer, I back up about 38GB of files in a bit under 3 hours, so on a faster computer, about 2 hours is probably about right for 40GB.

However, TI creates only 1 file.
    Did you choose an option in TI to break up the file?
    I'm guessing that breaking up the file will slow the restore.

6. booch11

thanks for the reply....
    i backed up using the create backup wizard, slected files or folders, selected my c drive, source was my external hd and hit proceed. took about two hours. each file that has been saved to the external is exactly 3.99 gb - except the final .tib which appears to be whatever was leftover.
    after cancelling twice, i right clicked on each file on the external and chose recover. all that did was queue up the 9 .tib files. i started this process at 12:16p - it's now 4p and only 25% of the first .tib file has been recovered. this is crazy - at this rate it'll take longer than a week.
    any ideas why ti 9.0 would've created 9 .tib files?
    im all for suggesting operator error but the wizard is pretty idiot proof and certainly gave no indication of creating 9 files for one backup - no did i figure i could grow a beard waiting for the restore.
    again, this is not an old computer - it's two weeks old and is an amd turion64 with speed and memory to burn.
    if the selected files weren't so important, i'd just say forget it.

7. booch11

goingback through the restore process, i did not see an option to break up the backup. and if, as you say, 38gb on an old computer should take three hours. why would one file of 3.99 gb take 16 (25% complete after four hours)

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Your 3.99GB is probably because your storage drive for the backup is formatted FAT32 - max file size 4GB.

Are you doing the restore from within Windows or is the standalone Linux version from the CD running? You also get the same message if TI tells you it has to reboot when in WIndows. If so, the linux drivers may not be optomized for your external drive.

I don't use Files and Folders backup if that is what you used rather than a partition or disk image so I can't really comment on the times. Does seem darn slow though!

9. booch11

seek:
    thanks again for the reply. i've shut 'er down!
    i emailed acronis support and maybe they can help me monday.
    the fat32 format statement makes sense as to the nine files. but the speed is a killer. unfortunately, i have all kinds of file remnants on my hard drive right now. so it goes. the good thing is those 9 files are on my external just waiting to be restored.
    booch

10. Howard Kaikow

As seekforever said, you are use a FAT 32 destination drive for backup.
    No reason to not use NTFS,

The clean way to convert from FAT 32 to NTFS would be, ASSuME-ing all files are just backup files, is to DELETE all the files on the backup drive, reformat the drive as NTFS and then redo the backup.

If you need to retain the backup files on the FAT32 drive, instead of deleting them, temporarily copy them else, then reformat the drive, and copy them back.

But do create a new backup job to write only the single file.

11. Howard Kaikow

Buy Perfect Disk and defrag the backup drive.
    THe initial defrag will take a looooooong time.

12. booch11

howard:
    thanks for the reply.
    unfortunately, i reinstalled windows and those files that are backed up are the files i need.
    the hard drive has been wiped clean and hence, the need for the restore.
    (whuch is why i use acronis in the first place)
    any ideas?
    booch

13. Howard Kaikow

Buy Partition Magic.
    Create pM rescue disks on floppies.
    Boot from the PM rescue disks.
    Use PM to CONVERT the backup drive from FAT 32 to NTFS.
    If given a choice, set the cluster size to 4096 bytes.
    Now try restoring from the TI boot CD.

If successful.

1. If not done above, boot from the PM rescue disks and change the cluster size to 4096 bytes.

2. Run another FULL Backup, assuming enough space on the backup drive. This should result in a single backup file.

3. When you feel comfortable doing so, delete the old 9 backup files.

4. Get Perfect Disk and fully defrag the NTFS drive. The FIRST defrag will take a looooooooooong time.

14. Howard Kaikow

Just checked the Partition Magic user guide.

So conversion from FAT32 to NTFS is out for now, unless you take the external drive to another PC.

It's also possible that much of the performance problem is due to heavy fragmentation of the 9 backup files. You could defrag the dive on another PC>

15. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

booch11,

To restore an image, split over 9 .tib files (either due to FAT32 limitation or through operator selection), you should select anyone file of this multivolume image, not each and everyone in turn. By selecting each of the nine files, you are restoring the same multivolume image nine times over.

16. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

booch11,

There is really no reason to be concerned AFAIK about having 9 files. When I create my images I deliberately split at 1492 MB since 3 of them fit nicely on a DVD and I prefer to stay away from the UDF file system (my preference).

Like bVolk says, you just select one and then sit back, TI does the rest.

17. booch11

seek and howard:
    as always, thanks for the advice. i'm running perfect disk on the external now -- and howard, you weren't kidding when you said it'd be a loooooonnnnnnngggg defrag - into hour five now.
    seek - if i'm hearing you correctly, don't worry about the nine files, select one and ti will take care of all of them? it appears that is occurring (or was until i cancelled). after several hours and the prgress indicator never moved past 0% - i gave up. so, i should be patient? it's going to take several days. i keep reading at acronis.com, and in reviews, how fast the program restores. i could've use pen and in and rewritten everything by hand quicker.
    booch

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello booch11,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that as seekforever mentioned, the most probably reason that Acronis True Image 9.0 splited the image into several files is a file system on the destination drive. If the storage drive has enough space, but its file system does not allow the estimated file size, Acronis True Image will automatically split the image into several files.

In order to restore image archive which is spitted into several files please do as bVolk and seekforever suggested, i. e. select any of these files, Acronis True Image will automatically restore the whole image.

As for the issue with progress bar, please first of all, please make sure you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the problem persists, please do as Alexey Popov suggested in this thread.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

19. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

For what it's worth, I've found that a Files & Folders restore is inherently way, way slower than a Disk/Partition restore. Hence I never use it and make do with copying any files/folders that I might need via TI's "Plug (mount) Image" feature.

Regards

20. booch11

i ran perfect disk and now ti cannot read the images. when accessing any one of the 9 .tib files, i get one of two errors:
    1. the selected file is not an acronis true image archice or the file is corrupted. please select another file.
    2. w00040011: please insert the media marked "volume 1." please rety when ready or cancel the operation.
    for #2, the 9th and much smaller .tib file is the only one of the 9 where i can even attempt to go through the wizard.

i'm not giving up hope yet.
    any thoughts?
    thanks
    booch

21. Howard Kaikow

The first defrag with Perfect Disk moves all the files around to reduce future fragmentation, so it takes a loooong time.

And in the case of a FAT32 drive, you also needed to do the offline defrag to defrag the file structures and directories.

If you convert to NTFS, you may not need to do the offline defrag.

Is TI really not smart enough to realize that you have simultaneously selected backup files that are part of the same backup set? If so, that's a shame.

P.S. I've used Perfect disk to defrag an 80GB external drive and a 200GB external drive. But both were NTFS and had only Ghost and/or TI and/or Retrospect files.

Are you sure the drive is running as USB 2 and not USB 1.1?

Of course, with 9 files, they might be heavily fragmented so will take longer. You can see the fragmentation in the lower screen while Perfect disk is running.

Are you sure that there are no programs running in the background that have their hooks into the external drive? That would a killer

22. booch11

...converting to ntfs....using the process e:\> convert e: fs:ntfs...
    got this error message:
    insufficient memory
    error converting file myback~1.tib
    the file may be damaged or there may be insufficient disk space.
    the conversion failed.
    e: was not converted to ntfs.

the external hd is an 80gb hd with 47gb of free space. i don't think
    insufficient disk space is the issue.

23. Howard Kaikow

A defrag program does not change the contents of a file.

Check http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/SupportOptions.cfm?product=pd&ProductVersion=pd7 to see if any problems are mentioned. Also you can call Perfect Disk at 1-800-546-9728.

Note that ALL defrag programs use the built-in windows aPI. The differences among the defrag programs are only in the GUI provided and the placement/ordering of files and related structures.

The following is from the FAQ at Perfect Disk:

Of course, it's possible that there could be a bug in the windows defrag aPI, but I doubt that very much.

24. Howard Kaikow

Did you do the conversion before or after the defrag?

Did you run chkdsk before the defrag and/or before the attempted NTFS conversion?

What happens if you run chkdsk now?

25. booch11

conversion after the defrag
    ran chkdsk after the defrag
    i just ran chdsk - it ran through a verify process. took awhile but no problems were reported.
    (thanks for replying)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.