Restoring an image located on a network drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Darryl, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl

Darryl Registered Member

How does one accomplish this action?

I just tried to restore my laptop with an image located on a connected USB 2.0 drive (after 2 hours of TI saying 'Analyzing Drive C:' it just crashed) corrupting the OS on the laptop.

To say the least I am not impressed so far with this software. My only hope now is to restore the drive using an image located on a networked PC.

One of the nicest GUI I have seen but the poorest imaging problems (technically).

Any advice.

2. softy783

softy783 Registered Member

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Darryl,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe your problem in details? Did you restore your image within Windows or in Acronis Rescue Mode? Please clarify what you mean by "it just crashed"? What errors did you get?

Please boot your laptop with Acronis Bootable Media and try to restore your image from USB drive or via network.

Please make sure that your bootable CD was made with the latest build (903) of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Oleg Shegay

4. Darryl

Darryl Registered Member

Hello,

Firstly I ran the application while in windows. After following the instructions, TI had to reboot the unit in order to restore. After booting the Acronis loader I had to once again go through the same procedure to restore the image. The image is located on a USB external drive, however the initial creation of the image was created on the desktop and then copied over to the external drive, not sure if that matters.
    It took around 20 minutes to finally see the USB drive with the directory folder containing the image after booting into the loader. I then choose the image file and the application proceeded to say, it was processing the physical drive. This went on for around 2 hours, all the time the USB drive light was flickering on and off indicating activity. I got fed up waiting and moved the mouse around, this is when an error window was displayed saying it could not read the sector. Upon restarting the laptop it had already corrupted the current OS, failing to boot.

As far as the network, where it indicates Computers Near Me, nothing shows up when I have 2 other PC's and one Mac server on the same network. I am new to this product and not sure if at the time of image creation does one have to decide if its going to be installed over a network or USB drive or can the image be created anywhere and merely copied over to those locations at a later time.

I did use the TI from windows plus used the latest build (boot CD) with the exact same results. I eventually ended up having to manually install the OS and related software to get the system up and running again.

So now I have a freshly installed system with Acronis TI 8.0 (build 903). No new image has been created as of yet.

Thank you.

5. Darryl

Darryl Registered Member

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Darryl,

The laptop became unbootable because you started the image restoration and it wasn't finished. When the image of the disk is restored the existing partition table is deleted. Could you please plug the USB drive to your computer, make sure it is turned on and create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post? Please send the report to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will try to find the reason for the problem.

As for network problem, please describe whether you have DHCP server in your network or not? If there is no DHCP server after you boot with Acronis Bootable CD you need to get to "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Network settings" and input the appropriate IP manually.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.