Restoring Acronis 8 Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davelexky, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davelexky

davelexky Registered Member

I needed to restore my hard drive image last night and it was a very frustrating experience. I save my images on an external USB ver 2 drive. I tried three times to restore from the USB and each time it failed part way through with a message that either the image was corrupt or the drive had been disconnected. As a last resort I took the USB drive and connected it to another computer in my house and copied the image file to that computer's hard drive. I was then able to do a successful restore from a network drive vs the USB. Does anyone know why Acronis had a problem with the USB drive?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello davelexky,

The only problem TI might have with a USB drive is that, after booting from the rescue CD, it may fail to detect it or the transfer speed is slow.

Generally, when imaging to hard drives, corruption can usually be pinned down to either flaky memory/aggressive memory timing or poor compatibility between the motherboard's USB subsystem and the external USB enclosure chipset. There is also a known problem with a particular Asus motherboard/BIOS that causes data corruption when transferring large files between internal hard drives let alone an external one!!

Judging by your reported symptoms, I would be inclined to think that, in this case, the problem is due to a motherboard/external encosure issue.

You could try to pin down the problem by creating an image to your C: drive and generating a MD5 checksum for it. Use Windows to copy the image to another internal HD or partition, create another MD5 checksum for the copied image and compare the two. If the checksums are different then there is probably a memory problem. If the checksums are the same, then copy the original image to your external USB HD and create a MD5 checksum for the copied image. Again, compare the two checksums and, this time, if they are different then it points to a motherboard/external HD enclosure incompatibility.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.