Restoring a Domain Controller - Broken trust issues

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by normannormal, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normannormal

normannormal Registered Member

Hello,

First off I know this is not the recommened method for restoring a DC. That said this is my problem:

Without going into too much detail my backup partition somehow got currupted. So I used a data recovery program to get back my images and the one I have is over 40 days old. I realize this is pushing the tombstone life on AD objects but its the best I have. So I restored my win2k DC and it seems OK except for the fact that almost all of the computer accounts no longer seem to work and have a broken trust. Here is the error I am getting in the event log when a user attempts to log in:

"The session setup from the computer DOMAINMEMBER failed to authenticate. The name of the account referenced in the security database is DOMAINMEMBER$. The following error occurred: Access is denied. "

Now I can disjoin and rejoin a workstation and that fixes it and it works fine. However I am wondering if there is a universal fix for this on the server to restablish these trusts rather than visiting all 200 workstations.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much

Norman

2. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

there is only 1 method to restore a domain controller from on image when you have multiple DOMAIN controllers..

1. restore image
    2. after restore immediatelly boot in safe mode
    3. restore a non-authoritive system state (with the backup software that you use)
    4. reboot into windows

DONE!

If not done this way you are ****ed an need to call MS techsupport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.