Restoring a dead system from image on a USB drive?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Board Room, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Board Room

Board Room Registered Member

Hi

Ive read so many good things about TI and thinking of buying it.

Just wanted to ask about saving an image of a WinXP partition to an external USB drive and restoring from there...

If my OS has a problem and refuses to boot up, does TI have a boot disc which can access a USB drive so I can restore the image from there?

Thanks for any info.

B R

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you buy ATI in a box, the install disk will boot up to let you run ATI.
    IF you buy a download, after isntalling ATI, it has a wizard to make bootable CD.

Try the free trial version first to make sure ATI works on your machine. If so, then uninstall it and then install the purchased copy fresh.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Board Room,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you can create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media on any media your computer can boot from (CD, DVD, flash drive, etc.) We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 11 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. Pallas

Pallas Registered Member

As long as you don't use a mobile but a desktop USB drive, there should be no problem...
    At least in my case.

5. JTL

JTL Registered Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. I have been using TI to make a clone of my primary HD using a second internal drive. I have never tried to do a back up and restore using a rescue disk. I need to purchase a new HD and rather than get an internal I thought I would get an external one and use it to back up both of my computers. Question. Can I back up two computers to a single external HD providing it has enough capacity? Unlike the clone feature are the back ups simple large files? Will the restore be just like the original like it is when you clone? Are the back up files full size or are they compressed. Thanks for any help.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Backups are simply large files. So you might have many on one target drive depending on the target disk size and the amount of bytes being backed up. I have about 20 or so on one drive, some of them nearly 100GB. The size of the backup file depends on how many sectors of you source disk are used. page and hibernation files aren't backed up because win recreates them on the fly whn you reboot after a restore. Also, compressin will normall reduce the number of bytes in the target file, although mpss, jpgs, and other files that are normally compressed to begin with won't compress further.

If you use backup files instead of cloning, you can have a history , allowing you to reach farther back for a restore. Plus,m if for any reason one of the backup files gets mucked up, you still have others. If you clone, you get one shot (one image) per hard disk.

7. JTL

JTL Registered Member

Thank you for the information it was very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.