Restored Hard Disk Will Not Boot

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by WJG170, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WJG170

WJG170 Registered Member

I am trying to use Paragon Backup & Recovery 10.1 to backup the bootable Windows XP SP2 hard disk in a computer (to a network file server). All that seems to work fine. I then decided to test the recovery process by substituting a another hard drive and restoring the saveset. That seemed to go fine. When I rebooted the computer, however, it does not find a bootable disk. All of the files seem to be there but the MBR must not be right or something. I then tried Paragon Rescue Kit 9.0 Express to see if it could fix the MBR but it still does not boot. I am missing something while doing the original backup?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Please run the recovery disk that's created from the program. Run the boot corrector function from the boot disk to find the OS and update the MBR. It could be that you only restored the partition and not the partition+MBR, or the MBR was not backed up. Either way, either recovery disk or the Windows XP CD can repair this.

In the Windows XP CD repair, command lines:

bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.