Restore your backup on a second harddrive and boot from it?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pippipie, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pippipie

pippipie Registered Member

Hi there:)

I have a question to a specific problem. Here it is:

Situation:

Operating System: Windows XP
    Acronis True Image V10.0 Home Edition
    Installed HDD:
    - HD1 :: One on the IDE Bus 230GB => Used to restore data
    - HD2 :: One on the SCSI Bus 280GB => Used as Master
    - HD3 :: One on USB 150GB => Used for Backup files .tib

What I'm trying to archive:

Every week I produce a Backup to HD3. from time to time I do restore the backup from HD3 to HD1. The idea is to restore the data to HD1 so that when HD2 would break down I could simply boot from HD1 instead from HD2 as normally. The goal is to simply switch HD.

Problem:

Unfortunately this is not working:( . When I try to boot from the restored HD1Windows would start until the blue screen appears a then does arrest
    ( Stops ). At this moment I would have only HD1 and HD3 installed cause HD1 would be broken.

Question:o_O

How can I make sure that the restored Data ( with Operating System ) could be booted from HD1 when HD2 is broken downo_O

Regards

Pierluigi Pippi
    Webmaster

2. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

You cannot with Home version autmatically switch the disk access form SCSI to IDE or SATA. That is (c) Universal Restore on Corporate versions, as Workstation.

You'd have to do it the hard way, by looking on internet to find a way to replace the pointer to boot files from SCSI:0:0 to IDE:0:0 (just an way of talking)

I would say... Good luck, or buy a second SCSI disk even smaller would be MUCH easier.

Jaycee

3. pippipie

pippipie Registered Member

This is what I thought.

Thank you for confirming the issue.

Regards

Pierluigi Pippi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.