Restore Wizard problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GER, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GER

GER Registered Member

I am trying to restore my HD from an external USB HD. I've booted to the Acronis CD and get to the Archive Selection screen where the drives are shown and you are asked to select the .tib file to restore. I can see the file listed, but when I try to enter the file name, I get the file name entered, except for the .tib and the system seems to lock up. I have tried the F11 and "quiet acppi=off noapic" modification, but that did not help. What do I need to do to restore my HD?

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

When you see the file name, you should be able to select with the mouse pointer. No typing of file name needed.

3. GER

GER Registered Member

Yes, I have tried using the mouse to select the .tib file. It gets a dotted box around the file name, but no file name appears in the "file name" box. When I type the file name in the "file name" box, I get as far as the file name less the ".tib" suffix before the application freezes. However, in this case the "Next" button highlights, but is inactive.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

If you have downloaded the 'SAFE' media version and installed it, try choosing that option on the CD and see how you go.

5. GER

GER Registered Member

I just finished trying the "Safe" mode without success. I got to the "Restore" screen and got a bunch of error messages:"Failed to read from the Sector 0 of the hard disk 0" and additional similar error messages regarding various sectors of hard disk 2. When the error messages stopped, I was at the screen to select the backup file (.tib), but it was not available. Apparently the external USB drive cannot be accessed in Safe Mode.

6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

As GroverH said, in the Restore process you simply click on the Image you want to restore. It is only in the Backup process that you have to type in the name you want to give the backup file.

And, yes, usually in the Safe mode, usb devices cannot be detected.

7. GER

GER Registered Member

OK, but the "textbook" procedure isn't working. What can be done to make it work?

8. GER

GER Registered Member

As I mentioned earlier, when I use the Full Version, I can access the external USB drive and see the archived .tib file I want to use. However, when I click on it, I get a dotted box around the file name, but no name appears in the file name box. The application seems to "freeze". The cursor moves, but there is no response from any of the buttons (back, next, cancel). The only option is to reboot the computer.

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Which version and build of TI are you using?

Does your BIOS have a legacy disable/enable option.

Is the USB drive running prior to TI Rescue CD booting.

Is your USB drive plugged in via an external hub or at the front of your PC? If so, remove the hub and plug the drive into a rear PC connector - this is normally needed if TI can't find the drive,but might help here as well.

Is it possible for the USB hard drive to be temporarily installed in the PC - not ideal, but might be the quickest method of getting you up and running.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  10. GER

GER Registered Member

I'm quite sure I am running the latest version of TI since I remember doing an upgrade not too long ago. I can't do the "Help/About" to verify the version since the computer isn't operational. I'm using my notebook for these posts.

You have just gone over my head with the question about the BIOS. How do I determine whether it has a legacy enable/disable option?

Yes, the USB drive is running prior to the TI boot disk running. The USB drive is running when I reboot the computer and it automatically starts the TI application on the boot disk.

I can try alternative USB ports. It is not in a hub, but in a port on the monitor. I'll see if there are any open ports on the back of the CPU.

I'm not sure how the USB drive can be installed in the PC. I guess I could break open the case and see what sort of drive is inside. There is a big warning seal on the case saying that the warrenty is void if I do this.

11. GER

GER Registered Member

I plugged the USB drive into a port in the back of the CPU, but the result was the same. I could see the archive .tib file, but when I clicked on it, only a dotted box around the file name appeared. The system was frozen again.

12. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Is it possible to install TI on your laptop and just check that the image file you have on the USB drive is valid.

If you have registered your copy of TI with Acronis you can log into your account and download TI and your licence number will be available to you as well.

If the mouse works apart from when you try and type in a file name, there will be an about box which will tell you the version your have.

If you have a brand name PC then the legacy option in BIOS probably won't be there, to get into your BIOS you need to select either F1, F2 or DEL keys (if you're lucky the BIOS boot screen will actually flash this up as it boots your computer, if not you'll need to try each one in turn - F2, DEL, F1 is the order I'd try), once in the BIOS you may find a page titled ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES or PERIPHERAL the entry (if it exists) will be in one of these.

13. GER

GER Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestions. It will be this evening before I can work on these items due to other committments. I'll report back later.

14. jbswift

jbswift Registered Member

I have the exact same problem, but I can be a little more detailed. I'am using the latest build 8353 for ATI Echo Workstation. The rescue media on a USB flash drive boots fine and detects the drives with no problems. When I configure a backup or restore operation, after a few steps you are prompted to provide the location and/or name of the archive you wish to backup or restore. If I select a drive, archive or type the path/name manually, the software freezes or indicates "please wait" forever. The mouse still works, but everything else is frozen including the cancel button. The path I'm selecting is the same drive the media boots on. Entering "quiet acpi=off noapic" has no effect. If I uninstall build 8353 and reinstall the previous build 8206, then create the rescue media, I have no problems at all. It is unclear about the legacy USB option mentioned, but if I disable this, my PC doesn't boot USB devices. My PC has no CD support, but if I make a CD and boot this on my DELL which is a different computer, the results are the same. In my opinion, something is wrong with the latest build from Acronis. I have case number 00232009 assigned, but I doubt this gets fixed with the release of Acronis Backup and Recovery 10.

15. GER

GER Registered Member

JBSWIFT - Let's see if I understand what you said. If I somehow can find build 8206, install it and create a boot disk, I will be able to restore my HD. Do I have that correct? In the meantime, I have bought a new HD and am starting from scratch installing the op system, applications and data. Seems like Acronis would offer a patch and not wait for some future version to correct the problem.

16. jbswift

jbswift Registered Member

Hi GER,

Yes, with no other solutions by Acronis or other members here, my suggestion is to give it a try if you are using the same corporate ATI Echo Workstation software I use. If you log into your account, you should be able to download any prior build. Its been about a week now since my case has been created. I can't get the rescue media to work on any computer using build 8353. Let me know your results if you do this.

17. GER

GER Registered Member

JBSWIFT - I'll be out of town all of next week, so there won't be any attempt to restore with build 8206 until later this month.

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

This situation can be fixed by special ISO file to recreate your CD. In case of bootable flash - it can be changed to work with Linux loader too.

Feel free to submit a request for technical support. And provide operator with your serial number for a product - we will be able to give you a link to download.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.