Restore to new bootdrive, size is wrong

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Putercobbler, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Putercobbler

Putercobbler Registered Member

Newbie here, I searched, but could'nt figure it out. I backed up the family computers on a 500GB external using Acronis. Decided to replace the 20GB boot drive in one computer with a 250GB boot drive. I removed the old C drive, installed the new one, booted from the recovery CD and restored the C archive to the new drive. It worked great and the computer boots and works fine except in "my computer", drive C is still recognized as 20 MB instead of 250 MB. How do I fix this, what did I do wrong? Thanks.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Putercobbler, welcome to the Forum :D

Suggest you try the following:

• Logon as Administrator
    • Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management
    • In the window scroll down to "Disk Management" and click on it
    You should be able to see the entire disk and hopefully you will see a C: partition of 20GB and an "Unallocated" space which should be just a bit less than 230GB. You can then manage this unallocated space any way you want to.

If you don't see the disk then take a screenshot of what you do see and post it back to the Forum

3. technetron

technetron Registered Member

I have a similar problem. I was restoring an older (questionable) 80-gig drive to a new 100-gig drive. I want all of the disk in a single partition (outside the boot partition.) I ended up with True image creating a 75-gig partition.... leaving about 18 megs in the unallocated area.

1. According to the instruction manual, one of the steps of disk image restore was the opportunity to resize the partitions. That option was never presented to me. Although, at one point their was a graph displaying the drive, but the window did not match the one in the instruction manual.

2. I followed the (Tabvla's) directions mentioned in the preceding post about going to Disk Management in the appropriate control panel. I see the unallocated space, but I don't see how to merge that space with the 75-gig partition to make a single partition.

All this is troubling because I think I followed the instruction manual, but the windows did not match the manual. I am using True Image 10 on a laptop XP. I had done a disk image (which appears to be working) and a restore. I did not do a clone because (based on comments here) I did not want to transfer the growing number of bad sectors from my old disk to the new.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Please don't suggest I buy another piece of Acronis software as the solution.

thanks
    d

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

This link may help you. See posting #3 by dld. There have been many postings on the issue of re-sizing both by dld and xpilot. You can try doing a search. I believe many of the postings involved True Image 9 Home v.9.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=161075

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  5. Putercobbler

Putercobbler Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I called the shop where I buy computer parts and they fixed it <snip>

edited to remove plug - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.