Restore to larger HD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ChuckBZ, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChuckBZ

ChuckBZ Registered Member

Hi,

I have been trying to restore a backup image of my HD to a new drive using the boot disk. It's a notebook drive so I can only use one drive at a time and my image is on DVD. The problem I have is that when I use restore the new drive appears to be the same size as the old drive, even in the bios.

How can I restore the image to the larger drive without having the new drive apear to be the same size?

thanks in advance.

2. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

You must use TI9, preferably v3677 and boot up with the Acronis Recovery Disk you made with that version. Select Add New Disk and clear all partitions on your laptop drive. Do not choose to create a new partition, just finish. Then, eject the Recovery Disk and insert your DVD with the archive on it. When you select the Restore option and step through the screens, instead of checking the box to restore the entire disk, select to restore only the MBR. As you step through the screens, choose to restore additional partitions. Next select the partition you want to restore in the unallocated space and you will be able to adjust the size and location of the restored partition. It's the kind of operation that's not well documented and requires a little bravery. Good luck!

PS - I do it all the time with satisfactory results so it's definitely doable.

3. ChuckBZ

Thanks I'll give it a try!

4. ChuckBZ

Ok so I made a new back up, this time on an external USB drive. The backup went fine, the boot disk works fine with the USB drive but after the restore the computer didn't boot up, I got the windows blue screen. I'm going to try again and hopefully it will work this time. On the last attempt I restored the MBR last this time I'll select it first and give it a try.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Chuck,

Bobdat's reply is perfectly valid although this <previous reply> may just flesh it out a little more for you.

Regards

6. ChuckBZ

I saw your post when I was searching earlier, I followed it but must have made an error somewhere. I'm backing up the drive now so we'll see ;)

Thanks for your help!

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again Chuck,

Just a thought but did you create a "whole disk" image? If so, make sure you restore the same number of partitions to the new drive. See this previous thread titled <Reflections on Build 3567 and MBR > for an explanation.

Regards

8. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

To give credit where credit is due, I learned how to do this from Menorcaman's posts here in the forum, not from Acronis' User Guide.

As for exactly WHEN to restore the MBR, I have always done that as the first restore step although I see no reason why it couldn't or shouldn't be the final step.

If your drive doesn't boot after you follow Menorcaman's advice there is probably some other issue involved that needs further explanation.

9. ChuckBZ

Still no luck, no matter how I try to restore it changes the size of the HD, I have to actually use hitachi's features tool to reset the size. From there bios sees it as the right size but once in windows it changes back.

Next I'll try to clone the drive to another drive, then clone to mine.... It says it does an auto resize on cloning. I hope this is the case.

Argggg this shouldn't be this difficult. If this doesn't work i'll just buy a USB SATA adapter and plug the new drive in and clone from one to the other direct.

Thanks again for all you help, I appreciate it.

10. ChuckBZ

No luck, cloned the drive direct to USB drive, boot from USB drive and get a Blue screen. I give up for today, looks like I'll try another solution.

Thanks everyones help

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ChuckBZ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Could you please do the following?

- Boot into Windows from the original hard drive and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Make a screen shot of Windows Disk Management by following Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management;

- Turn off the computer, swap the hard drives, boot into Windows from the cloned\restored hard drive (i.e. the new larger disk) and create Acronis Report, Windows System Information and screen shot of Windows Disk Management once more;

- Rename the files collected to report_source.txt, sysinfo_source.NFO, disk_management_source.jpg and report_destination.txt, sysinfo_destination.NFO, disk_management.jpg accordingly.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.