Restore To External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by dueceswild, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

I am still learning the Paragon product line. Is it possible with the DB 9 Pro to make an image of my hard drive (C), store that image on an external drive (G), and restore that image (only to verify the image's integrity) to a second external drive (Z).

Both externals are 1T, so the image will easily fit. If I can do this, is it possible (at least in theory) to boot the image from the Z drive?

I mainly want to test the integrity of the image, but am afraid to use the computer it came from for fear of a problem during the restore process. And, I really don't want to have to go through the reloading of all the software again for a test.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes, it is possible to restore to an external hard drive, or to a second, not-boot internal drive. I do it routinely after I create an image.

Now, if it is possible to boot from an external hard drive, it depends on the hardware and operating system used. I can´t do it using this Dell computer running under XP SP3.

3. dueceswild

Thanks for the response Robin. I am running XP SP3. The booting would be nice, but isn't totally necessary.

Now that I know I can do the restore, is there an advantage to doing it? I mean would that give me an idea of if I had a usable image?

Jim

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi deuces,

It is a good idea to try an image and a restore - to see how it operates, how long it takes, and to be confident it is all working as it should.

Hope it helps.

5. dueceswild

Will do. Will the restore- with no boot- still show everything works as it should?

Jim

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You can't boot windows from a usb attached HD.

If you wish to restore to an external usb attached drive - you will at least see it all completed successfully, and all the files are there.

It's worth doing - so you know all is well.

Hope it helps

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  7. dueceswild

That answered my question. Thank you very much for your help.

Jim

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You're welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.