Restore To External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by dueceswild, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

I am still learning the Paragon product line. Is it possible with the DB 9 Pro to make an image of my hard drive (C), store that image on an external drive (G), and restore that image (only to verify the image's integrity) to a second external drive (Z).

Both externals are 1T, so the image will easily fit. If I can do this, is it possible (at least in theory) to boot the image from the Z drive?

I mainly want to test the integrity of the image, but am afraid to use the computer it came from for fear of a problem during the restore process. And, I really don't want to have to go through the reloading of all the software again for a test.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes, it is possible to restore to an external hard drive, or to a second, not-boot internal drive. I do it routinely after I create an image.

Now, if it is possible to boot from an external hard drive, it depends on the hardware and operating system used. I can´t do it using this Dell computer running under XP SP3.

3. dueceswild

Thanks for the response Robin. I am running XP SP3. The booting would be nice, but isn't totally necessary.

Now that I know I can do the restore, is there an advantage to doing it? I mean would that give me an idea of if I had a usable image?

Jim

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi deuces,

It is a good idea to try an image and a restore - to see how it operates, how long it takes, and to be confident it is all working as it should.

Hope it helps.

5. dueceswild

Will do. Will the restore- with no boot- still show everything works as it should?

Jim

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You can't boot windows from a usb attached HD.

If you wish to restore to an external usb attached drive - you will at least see it all completed successfully, and all the files are there.

It's worth doing - so you know all is well.

Hope it helps

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  7. dueceswild

That answered my question. Thank you very much for your help.

Jim

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You're welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.