Restore to Different partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Maxwel, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxwel

Maxwel Registered Member

I would like to restore to a different primary partition. True Image doesn't allow this. Why? Drive Image 7 does.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Why would you need two primary partitions?

I have:

Disk 1: C -D
    Disk 2: F - H
    Disk 3: I-M

Separate OS on C, F, G and H.

Only C is a primary partition, all others are Extended.

In any case, you can always format a drive as desired and recover ALL "files and folders", not the drive.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Maxwel,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Actually, Acronis True Image allows to restore an image to a primary partition.

Could you please describe the issue in more details?

Please let us know the build number of Acronis True Image which you have used.
    Please also clarify whether you have tried to restore the image within Windows or booting from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media?
    Please describe your step-by-step actions. What was the image created from? Where exactly you have tried to restore it?

Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

4. Maxwel

Maxwel Registered Member

My bad, I misinterpreted the screen which allowed me one selection. I thought that this was the destination. I have since been able to restore to a different primary and it works.

One quibble: when I booted from a TrueImage CD, it reported my two Dynamic disks as unknown. Unfortunately one of them contained my archive. This is build 2337 of True Image. Drive Image 7 has no trouble with Dynamic disks, why should True Image?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Maxwel,

Dynamic disks are mainly the preserve of corporate/professional environments (using Win XP Pro, Win 2K or Win Server 200x) rather than home/non-professional users. Therefore you will need to purchase a Corporate or Server version of True Image if you want dynamic disk support (even then there are certain documented limitations).

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Maxwel,

We are glad to hear that you managed to solve the problem.

As for dynamic disks support, I would like to correct Menorcaman's reply a little. The point is that only server versions of Acronis True Image, namely Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows, support backing up dynamic disks. Please read section 3.2 of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows or section 4.4 of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows User's Guide for more details. You may also find this FAQ article helpful.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial versions of the products you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.