Restore to different hardware with Drive Backup 9

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by marley1, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marley1

marley1 Registered Member

So I want to start experimenting with Drive Backup on Servers to do a full backup for disaster recovery.

I created a full backup of my production server - Raid 5 SBS 2003, C and D partitions.

I want to now restore that C and D partition to another test machine. This machine is just a single drive system.

I also then want to try to restore this to another temp server - Raid 1 machine.

How would I go about doing this?

2. Paragon_Cisco

Paragon_Cisco Paragon Moderator

Hello marley1,

If you already own a registered copy of Drive Backup Pro or higher, the Adaptive Restore add-on downloads are available to you by logging in to your Paragon account and going to "My Downloads". If not please follow the link below to register for the product.

Register for Product Key & Serial: http://www.paragon-software.com/registration/ar.html

Outline:
    • Run Backup Disk or Partition as normal to create an image of the desired disk/partition. (Disk-to-Disk copy is also fine). No additional or unusual steps are required.
    • Run Restore Disk or Partition as normal to restore onto the destination disk drives. Do not check the box for ‘Restore to Different Hardware Configuration’; this option is for single IDE/SATA drives only. It is not required that you backup/restore with Paragon, all you need to do is get the installation of Windows onto the new drives you intend to use in the new system.
    • Boot from the Adaptive Restore WinPE Recovery CD in the new system.
    • Run the P2P Adjust OS Wizard
    • If it tells you no OS detected, you may need to supply a VISTA/2008 32-bit compatible driver to the WinPE environment so that it can see the disk drive you wish to operate on. Back out and go to Tools / Add Drivers.
    • From the P2P Wizard, select the OS you wish to adjust.
    • Select the Automatic option (1st option).
    • Point the wizard to the folder containing your driver files.
    • Proceed to Apply changes physically.
    • Boot into Windows! Load the best drivers.

It’s a pretty straight forward process. You don’t do anything extra or differently when performing the backup/restore or disk-to-disk copy; just get the install onto the new system however you like. Then, boot off the CD and load the Vista/2008 driver for WinPE if it doesn’t see your hard drive natively. Finally, run the P2P wizard and supply the actual driver to be inserted.

You can download a video recording of an Adaptive Restore demonstration below. Please note you must install the VMware codec before Media Player can handle the file.
    http://ftp.paragon.eu.com/US/Video/WinPE_Adjust_OS.zip

3. marley1

So I should be able to restore a Raid 5 array to either a single disk or a different type of Raid system?

If I was doing a Raid to a single drive, would I use the "Restore to Different Hardware Configuration"? Or is that only when doing a single drive source to a single drive destination?

Just restore the backup to that drive or array and then boot off the CD?

4. Paragon_Cisco

If you are restoring to a on-board SATA or IDE controller you should be able to just use the "Adjust OS to New Hardware". This process essentially designates the Windows default hardware drivers (same as a clean install) as the ones to boot the machine. Then you can install the specific device drivers for your hardware.

If you restore to any drive(s) connected via a RAID controller you will need to use AR (Adaptive Restore) to inject the drivers whether a RAID level is being used or not.

5. marley1

Great thanks for the fast response.

I will do some tinkering around a little later on today or this week. I was given a 30 day full demo to mess around.

My plan is to use my production SBS server image that I made last nite to:
    1 - Restore to a fast desktop computer I have lying around using the Adjust OS to New Image, since the original machine was Raid 5 and now restore to a singel Sata
    - I just want to see how this would work, so in case a disaster happens I could restore to a quick Dell or something lying around to get em going.

2 - Restore to a server I have in the office now with Raid 1 to see how this would work, want to see if I could easily just swap from old hardware to a new server.

6. fpefpe

fpefpe Registered Member

Greetings --

How is this done used p2v -- is there a pdf manual for the p2p/p2v programs?

7. Paragon_Cisco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.