Restore to a Different Hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by palm_programs, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palm_programs

palm_programs Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a created a backup image and verified it. NOw if I want to restore to a different Hard drive (which happens to be SATA and my original was IDE) will that work? Meaning I still would like to have my IDE in the system but essentially make my larger capacity faster SATA as the my primary boot drive? Will I get windows errors? I will erase the IDE drive after restore so that there are no two bootable HDD in system.

Any suggestions? Basically, my goal is to move my IDE main drive to a larger capacity SATA and still have the old IDE as a storage drive.

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Unfortunately I have not got a SATA disk so I cannot give you a definitive answer.

The way I see it, the quickest way to find out is to restore the image, disconnect the original disk, and then boot with the SATA disk. You have nothing to lose as the original still has all the information.

If your image is stored on DVD, you might find that you expereince a problem when you boot with the SATA, and the problem is due to the way the image was stored on the DVD and has nothing to do with the SATA disk.

When you do restore the image, please give us feedback re your success or failure.

3. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

yes! once you have created the clone restart and enter the bios and set the new drive to boot from and set boot from other device to NO, once in windows and all is ok you need to delete the old partition and reformat to avoid conflicts.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sorry - I'm confused here. I am about to replace an old IDE drive with a new SATA drive. I thought to do this it was necessary to use Acronis Universal Restore ? . The help files say "Choose this option when restoring a system disk (partition) to a computer with other processor, motherboard or HDD controller than in the imaged system".

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Long View

No need for the use of Universal Restore.

I above reads to mean if someone is restoring to differrent System.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Thanks - the bit that concerned me was "or HDD controller than in the imaged system" I thought that changing from IDE to SATA might be a problem.
    I'm picking up a SATA card in the morning and will give it a go.

7. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

8. palm_programs

palm_programs Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.