Restore TI Images - Partition Size on new Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimshu1, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimshu1

jimshu1 Registered Member

My 20Gb laptop HD started making noises yesterday and I knew I had to to install a new one. Unfortunately, my on-hand spare was 15Gb.

I had been a long time user of Ghost, until they came out with Ghost 9.0 which I really didn't like. With Ghost, as long as the image data size is less than the new partition you are restoring to, there is no problem.

I found with TI that the new partition size must match, or be larger than the partition image you are restoring. You can resize the TI image, but it's impossible if the image is on multiple CD/DVD disks. You have to swap back and forth hundreds, if not thousands of times. I quit that approach after about 50 media swaps.

I had to use Partition Magic to resize the new partition to match the image partition size before I could restore. Fortunately, I use three partitions on this HD. If I had only one partition on the HD, I would have been screwed, with my image being restored on multiple CD's.

After a successful, but long drawn out Restore, I used Partition Magic to resize the partitions on the new, smaller HD to what I really wanted.

Something to definitely keep in mind!!!

2. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

3. jimshu1

Yes, it is possible, by letting TI resize the image. No problem if the image is on another partition/drive, or on one optical disk. The problem is if the image is on multiple optical disks (split image). Then it's impossible.

4. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

I missed that point in your original post. My bad.... :'(
    Thanks,
    Skyhawk

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jimshu1,
    Hello Skyhawk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

We do know about this problem and our Development Team will try to reorganize data distribution and image archive structure in order to avoid volume swapping.

Thank you.

6. jimshu1

Acronis Support,

Thanks for the reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.