Restore Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cranheim, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranheim

cranheim Registered Member

When a Full restore is done, does the restore data just overwrite the old data on the c drive, or is there some formatting done to make sure any corrupt files or virus files are deleted before the restore. I heard the original data on the PC drive is at least deleted before the restore takes place.

2. Aussie42

Aussie42 Registered Member

I think you will find that TI does a quick format as part of the restore. Don't worry about any viruses they will be gone, just make sure you also restore the MBR also.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The partition being restored on the disk is deleted before the restore begins.

Formatting a partition is really just setting up the file system. It is not a low-level format the defines the sectors etc; this is done at the factory. The longer rather than quick format includes a read-check of the the sectors. The data remains which is how the products that get your data back even after a format work.

TI really does neither but restores the file system that is included in the image being restored. It isn't exactly that simple because, for normal images (not-sector-by-sector of the whole partition), TI does not necessarily put the contents of sector ABCD back into location ABCD. It therefore has to make adjustments to the file system to accommodate this.

I believe the chance of virus code on an unused section of disk "springing to life" is very remote. If the thought bothers you then you could run the included Drive Cleanser or other product to wipe the partition.

4. horn

horn Registered Member

I have a question for the experts.
    Would like to change my old Desktop computer and buy something more modern and efficient.
    All my 3 actual partitions I have stored in one external HD using TI 10.
    My question is if would be possible using TI ,to restore stored data and OS from external HD to new PC, and if the answer is affirmative , what should be procedure for this.
    Other possibility is to create a clone of complete HD to external one and then restore this clone to new PC

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

This recent thread may have your answer:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=244634

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.