Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sadievan, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadievan

sadievan Registered Member

Was trying to walk through the steps to restore my computer to an earlier backup. I have a full backup and incrementals These are located on an external hard drive. I highlight the last incremental 'backup5.tib and select restore. The wizard pops up. Select restore whole disk, for content selection I select C & MBR. A window pops up 'analyzing C. Then a window pops up with the yellow Exclamation Point with 'Specify location of the volume 4' with boxes below for, browse, retry or cancel. I don't understand this error message. Does it want me to select the 4th backup even though that is not the latest one?

Carol

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

for incremental backup to work all previous backups must be available and valid. Are all 5 in the same folder? What happens if you click on 4 does it ask for 3 etc?

3. sadievan

They are all in the same folder. Haven't tried clicking on #4 because I wanted to backup to my last one.

Is the 'volume 4' it is asking for my #4 .tib file?

4. sadievan

OK. I went back and tried to click on #4. Still get the same message. When I clicked on #3, it went past the error message spot. Did not go any further yet. Tried to do a validate of the incrimentals, but it always goes to the last one (#5)(posted this problem in a separate thread).

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You can probably stop the validation past an certain number of incremental by renaming the files you don't want validated or copying it out of the folder. I can't swear this will work but it should; I never do incrementals.

The files that you rename or move can't be in the middle of the incrementals stream. So if you think 4 is bad, rename 4 and 5 or copy 4 and 5 elsewhere. Leaving 5 with 4 removed may possibly cause problems.

6. sadievan

OK. I had to move #4 & #5 in Explorer. Acronis wouldn't let me do it, kept telling me it was in use by another program. I'm assuming that #4 & #5 are bad because of the error message I keep getting.

I think I may have to restore to #3. After I set up Media Center, then did a couple of Microsoft updates, 1. Windows Defender and 2. Realtek Semi Conductor Corp. my computer is real slow on a reboot. The HP splash screen shows, then the screen goes blank for about 8 minutes before actually booting up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.