Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by assman, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. assman

assman Registered Member

I backed up(Acronis TI v.9) my PROGRAM FILES & MY DOCS AND SETTINGS to a network location. formated my PC w/ fresh install of XP Pro and tried to restore the backup images i made.

after the restore, the programs didn't show in the start menu or the add/remove programs. but i could navigate to them in c:\program files. then, to make it worse, when i logged in, it didn't restore my settings. instead it pointed me to user.pcname folder instead of user folder.

what am i doing wrong? i know i have accomplished this successfully once before w/ this same version of acronis. but it's been so long. does it make a difference if i choose "RESTORE TO ORGINAL LOCATION" or should i choose "RESTORE TO DIFF LOCATION"o_O

also, when i tried the restore, i was logged in as the LOCAL admin and not the network admin account on the domain. does this make a difference?

o_O

what do i need to do or what did i do wrong?

please help.

thanks

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“the programs didn't show in the start menu”
    Were they possibly in the All Users Start Menu?

“MY DOCS AND SETTINGS”
    What, exactly, was the path for those? I see a “My Documents” and a “Documents and Settings”, but no “MY DOCS AND SETTINGS”.

3. assman

assman Registered Member

well i figured out part of the problem, there was already a user folder (ex. c:\docs and settings\assman) user folder when i tried the first restore. this time i did the restore w/o any user folders other than the admin. it's in the process of finishing the recovery now.

i can see this time where the recovery is putting the backup data in the correct location. c:\doc and settings\assman. however, half way through this restore, the progress bar was NOT full/complete, but the acronis schedule icon in bottom right taskbar show's "please restart to complete this operation" so i'm in process of rebooting.

however, i saw the user data in the correct location. program files still did not show under add/remove programs. even if the programs were installed specific to the user, they would still appear in add/remove programs list.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

" ... they would still appear in add/remove programs list."

I think that's stored in the registry, not what you backed up and restored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.