Restore Problem with True Image 9.0: Not the last volume in archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MichaS, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

Hope, someone can offer help.
    As my machine had problems due to an ill-behaving anti virus scanner, I needed to repair my Windows XP partition. However the XP repair fails due to an internal error (BSoD). Thus, I'd like to restore my partion from an existing backup (.tib-file). However, as soon as I am trying to restore, Acronis TI tells me, it can't restore as this is "not the last volume in the archive". However, this is definitely wrong. The backup did only create that single image-file. There are no more files available. I tried Acronis True Image 8/9/9.1 without any success.
    What is the problem here and how can I reanimate my backup.

Thanks a lot
    MichaS

2. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

Hope, someone can give ma a hint what happened to my image.
    BTW, the image was created on an external harddrive connected via USB port. TThe external harddrive is exclusively dedicated for storing the archive. ATI created only the file <filename>1.tib. Nonetheless, it claims this is not the last volume in the archive.
    There are no other ATI-Files on the disk.I have configured a scheduled backup that is automatically initiated every 3 days. The data stored is basically the content of my C: partition.
    From the size of the created archive it seems as if it contains all the data.
    I have no idea what could be the problem.

3. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

Again: Restore Problem

One week ago I've posted the question below with no answer from Acronis support. Is this the way Acronis supports customers? We have ordered hundreds of Acronis True Image licenes for the company I work.

Again:

As my machine had problems due to an ill-behaving anti virus scanner, I needed to repair my Windows XP partition. However the XP repair fails due to an internal error (BSoD). Thus, I'd like to restore my partion from an existing backup (.tib-file). However, as soon as I am trying to restore, Acronis TI tells me, it can't restore as this is "not the last volume in the archive". However, this is definitely wrong. The backup did only create that single image-file. There are no more files available. There is an external USB harddisk dedicated just to store the backup image. No one deleted any files on the backup medium. And there is only that one tib-file created byo_O ATI. I tried Acronis True Image 8/9/9.1 without any success.
    What is the problem here and how can I reanimate my backupo_O

Thanks a lot
    MichaS

4. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Re: Again: Restore Problem

Greetings MichaS,

I may not have a lot to offer you, but thought I'd post what comes to mind. This error could occur if Windows device manager and ATI are seeing your ext USB HD as a Removeable Storage Device, rather than as a fixed hard drive. Normally, that message would only be used when restoring from optical media.

Here's a Thread which may help:
    Re: Removeable Media problem with USB Hardrive

And another:
    Re: Chokes during recovery setup, external hard drive

If you are unable to access the Archive on this computer, perhaps you could copy the file(s) from your ext HD on a different computer, to another ext USB HD. Ext USB HDs can be challenging to configure...some chipsets work better than others. Another suggestion, and one which I resorted to, is to add a PCI USB controller card (mine is an Adaptec - I tried several before finding one that worked).

Regards

5. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

Hello,

thanks a lot for your help.
    The USB drive is formatted using NTFS. ATI did not complain about the external drive when creating and storing the archive. The archive is 299 GB in size. I got other external drives, all of them of the same type and produced by Maxtor. Unfortunately, none of them has enough space for my archive.

Hmmh, is there any other way to convince ATI to restore the image?

I got a little bit stuck because my Windows XP is damaged and my archive restore doesn't work too

Michael

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

What build and version did you use to make the archive? Did you make the archive from within windows or did you use the bootable Rescue CD? If your XP is damaged you may be able to repair it by reinstalling XP over itself.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

One cause of this problem is that the archive was made with build 3567 or later (at least for the Home version) and an attempt is being made to restore it with an earlier build. The engine and format was changed in 3567 and earlier versions can't interpret the file correctly. 3567 and later can handle files created by the earlier version OK.

If you are using a rescue CD make sure it is up to date; a new CD must be made with each new build to have the latest fixes and features included.

8. MichaS

MichaS Registered Member

What I did was that I originally installed True Image 9 and creted an Acronis boot disk using exactly the same version. With that version I defined a regularly scheduled task for backing up my C: partition to my USB external drive. Now, when I try to restore my image I encounter the problems mentioned in my previous posting. Is it possible that ATI 9.0 (I don't know the build version) cannot restore the image it created itself although I use exactly the same version and build for backup and restore??

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No, if the rescue disk was created with the same build that made the archive it should work unless it is a very old build with bugs in it.

You can find the build by starting TI and looking at the top line in Help About... I don't know were it is in the rescue CD but it may display at sometime.

Have you ever restored or validated an archive located on the USB drive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.