Restore of a disk image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ahbrooks, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ahbrooks

ahbrooks Registered Member

I have Acronis 9.0 Home. My primary drive (C:) is going out so I created an image copy of my 60GB C: drive to a 300GB USB drive. It appears to have worked ok because I can view the files on the USB drive. When I restore the image back to a new C: drive will that drive then be bootable? I have added a directory on the USB drive since I did the image copy. Will that directory be restored to the new C: drive when I restore the image copy on the USB drive to the new C: drive?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ahbrooks,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, the system will be bootable after the restoration.

Could you please clarify whether you have been using the Create Backup wizard or Disk Clone wizard for the described backig up operation?

If you have used Clone Disk tool then you will need to use the same tool again when it will be necessary to restore the original hard drive (clone the external drive back to original). In this case the folder you have created will be copied to the original hard drive as well during the cloning procedure.

If you have created an image (the image archive is a file) then you should use the Restore Data Wizard. This time the created folder will not be restored since it is not in the image archive.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. ahbrooks

So how do I restore a cloned image created from a 60GB hard drive to a 300GB disk back to a 60GB disk? Let me give you my senario: My 60GB primary hard drive (C:) is going out. All I have is a 300GB USB disk to create an image copy to. That part works as long as I don't create multiple partitions on the 300GB because Acronis always wants to destroy all partitions on the destination drive. So when I go to restore this image I have created on my 300GB hard drive to a new 60GB hard drive will Acronis let me restore this image from a 300GB hard drive to a 60GB hard drive? If Acronis won't let me restore a clone from a larger hard drive to a smaller hard drive then I am screwed. Does the backup function make the disk bootable as well as the clone function?

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Yes, it does.

Create a whole disk image of the old 60 storing it on the external 300. See that the box next to Disk 1 is ticked. Replace the old 60 with the new 60, you can leave it blank. Boot from Rescue CD and run the Recovery Wizard to restore the image (the .tib file) on the external 300 to the new 60. Again, the box next to Disk 1 must be ticked. After you retrieve the Rescue CD and exit TI, the computer should boot into Windows from the new 60.

5. ahbrooks

Hey thanks alot. I already tried restoring my a clone image of my primary drive "C:" from the 300GB USB drive to a secondary drive "D:" and it worked fine. The only thing that confused me was the 300GB drive now was the "D:" drive and the "D:" drive was the "J:" drive which was the original letter assignment of the 300GB hard drive. I then went to Windows Disk Manager (WDM) and relettered the 300GB drive to another letter and relettered the original "D:" drive back to "D:".

Since your post mentioned booting from the Rescue CD I now understand how to do the "C:" drive because WDM will not let you reletter the "C:" drive. Is the Rescue CD that you speak of the CD that I created in Acronis Media Builder? I am assuming it is but I don't like making assumptions.

Man this Acronis True Image is powerful. I have wanted to reorganize my partitions for years but didn't have a way to do it. Now I can layout the disks the way I want.

Thank you for your assistance.

Allen Brooks

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi again Allen,

Yes, TI is powerful and proceeding with caution is the only correct approach. Some new users will install or run all the bells and whistles the first day only to find themselves in a mess on the slightest slip.

The Rescue CD is the one you created with Media Builder, yes. You should create a new one for every new TI build you install. It is sometimes called also "the standalone TI version" or "the Linux version". Running in Linux, it temporarily assignes different letters to drives than Windows, that's normal. It's therefore good practice to assign (in Win Explorer) meaningful names to drives so as to avoid confusion when working in the rescue environment (after booting from the Rescue CD).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.