Restore not working

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bpbp00, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bpbp00

bpbp00 Registered Member

I have a laptop with a 40 gig hard drive divided into two 20 gig partitions. I have the latest build of Acronis 10. I used the bootable cd to create a full backup of my C drive onto a removable hard drive. I then did a "add new drive" making my C drive one physical 40 gig partition. Next step, using the bootabel CD, was a Restore. No good. I get a message saying something like operating system not present. I then did a restore of MBR and track 0. Still will not boot. I am very experienced with computers, but this one has me baffled. I ran the cd restore program again and at "archive selection" I looked at the layout of the C drive and all the restored files are there on my laptop. I need my laptop for my job. HELP!!
    Bob

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Do a Repair Install using your WinXP cd.

3. bpbp00

bpbp00 Registered Member

Bad news!! Do not have an XP cd for this notebook. Will a full version XP cd for another computer work?

4. DwnNdrty

I don't know, but give it a try. As you will know, some XP install cds are tied to the computer they came with.

BTW, there are several Repair options that will come up. The one you want is the one that appears right after the EULA screen. So Ignore any ones before that. This Repair will keep all your applications intact. The other ones may not.

5. bpbp00

bpbp00 Registered Member

Repair did not work. I need help. Tried a restore again. No good. The files are there on my C dirve, but i can't boot.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Have you looked at the c:\boot.ini file on the restored laptop. Perhaps your old computer had hidden or diagnostic partitions and the boot partition was then something other than 1. See if the old ini file shows a boot partition of 2. If yes, then try changing it to 1.

7. bpbp00

bpbp00 Registered Member

I can't look at it. The only way I know that the data is on the drive is when I look at it with the bootable acronis cd.

8. DwnNdrty

You can use a standard BartPE cd to look at the contents of your drive.

9. bpbp00

bpbp00 Registered Member

Stupid me!!! I just had to plug my usb drive into my main desktop and run Acronis from there.
    This is what the boot ini file has:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    So, how do I change it?

10. DwnNdrty

Edit it with Notepad.

11. bpbp00

bpbp00 Registered Member

Never mind. I formatted the drive, installed my store-bought copy of XP (installed on desktop), used the key on the label on the back of the notebook, called Microsoft and they activated me. Loaded all needed programs and drivers from the Sony site. Only problem is no Mass Storage Controllers, but it's working. Thanks for the help.
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.