restore lost Partitiontable from true crypt HDD

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by hotor, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotor

hotor Registered Member

Hello there,

i have a external WD MyBook 3 TB HDD(WDBACW0030HBK-04). I encrypted the whole device with Truecrypt, when i got it. I used the NTFS Partition set by fabrication and didnt used windows 7 again to have the same result. When i mounted it again after two weeks, it got me the error "Wrong Password...". I restored the header as suggested from True Crypt and could mount the HDD again (Sadly it was only Partition 0), but as RAW Drive.

So i followed:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=336671
    It all worked till i wanted to creater the volume with disk management from windows.
    Now the Problem. When Windows initilized the Disk, it asked me if want MBR or GPT. First i have chosen MBR, because I read in the Internet, that it can be used for devices bigger than 2TB if the BlockSize is big enough. But Windows splitted my HDD in two Partitions - one with 2 TB and one with 750GB. So i did right click-->convert to GPT. And it was one big partition again. When i wanted to mount it via TC to restore the header, there were two partitions (Partition 1 (128MB) and Partition 2 (2,7 TB). I never seen the first one, when i bought and encrypted it. I only remember a Partition 1. (Maybe i've forgotten the first one, but im qutie sure the was only one).
    So can i proceed mouting Partition 2 and restore the head or do i need a Programm which only makes a Partition 1 and not two (without windows reserved space). But which one and how. Or is my Data lost now? I've read the last post from the great dantz, but isnt there a way to still do it that way. I dont have the space copying the the data with winhex.

I'm grateful for any suggestions/advice.

(sry, if my english is not so good, but i dont use it very often and it still lacks a lot)

update: Found something new fomr another forum:
    So i need to format it to MBR, but without this mrs (miccrosoft reserved 128MB Space). So maybe i should do it manually with TestDisk and add a partition with LBA 4096Kb. But which Start and End should i chose without damaging the data (true crypt)?

----------------------------------BIG GOOD NEW---------------------------------------------------------

It works again! How did I do it? I've read that WD has cooporation with Acronis. So i thought they use the engine from quick formater is acronis engine. I bought Acronis Disc Director Home and deleted the old volume and created a new primary volume - of course without formating it. Acronis automaticly does the right advance formating for the 4k sectors. I had my old partition back and just needed to restore the backup header from True Crypt and wohooooooo!!! there it was :). But you can still tell me how I could have done it with TestDisk , because a proprietary program shouldn't be the only solution.

And here is the restored partition table:

Code:
    Analyse Disk \\.\PhysicalDrive1 - 3000 GB / 2794 GiB - CHS 45599 255 63
    Geometry from i386 MBR: head=255 sector=63
    check_part_i386 failed for partition type 07
    Current partition structure:
    Invalid NTFS or EXFAT boot
    1 * HPFS - NTFS              0   8  9 45599 161  2  732557568
    1 * HPFS - NTFS              0   8  9 45599 161  2  732557568

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.