restore issue help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by selkov, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selkov

selkov Registered Member

Went to restore a backup and I am getting this error
    "the seleceted file is not an Acronis Home Archive"

What gives?

It is a .Tib File.....
    any ideas

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Any chance the backup was made with build 3567 or later and your restore program is an earlier build?

At build 3567 the TI engine was changed which also meant the file format was changed. Older builds cannot read the new format but 3567 and later can read/restore the old archives OK.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

I assume that is a typo and that you mean .tib Yes?

4. selkov

selkov Registered Member

yes...i meant tib
    Both program & tib were from teh same release.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Where is the .tib archive located? For example...

* Another internal disk
    * Same disk on a different partition
    * External USB drive
    * Acronis Secure Zone
    * Removeable media
    * etc...

6. selkov

selkov Registered Member

external usb drive

7. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

That could be the problem.

Suggest that you copy the archive (using Windows Explorer) to an internal disk and then use the TI9 function "Mount Image" to test if the archive is readable.

Note : If you check this Forum you will see that you are not the only one to have experienced problems with TI9 archives located on USB drives. You will also see that many members (including myself) use USB drives successfully. I don't think there is a definitive reason why a USB drive will work perfectly with TI on one system and not on another.

8. selkov

selkov Registered Member

good Idea but cant do.
    No space to accomodate the tib file...its 70 gb

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

What is the build number of TI that you are using? If it is out-of-date an upgrade may help.

Current English lang build is 3677.

10. selkov

selkov Registered Member

Ti is current.

Based on the prior post of USB issues I removed the HD from the USB enclosure & installed it direct.

I went to mount the image & got this error:
    "This is not the last created volume of the backup archive. Please insert the last created volume to start working with this archive."

It is the onlu BU I have.

Acronis pls help.......

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello selkov,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As far as I understood from the Private Message you sent us, you have already submitted a request for technical support, but received no response. Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

As for the problem you encounter, please provide us with the following information:

- Try validating the backup having the issue by means of the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home embedded Validate Backup Archive tool both when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and inform us about the results;

- Does the problem appear both when you try to restore this particular backup archive using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD?

- How many volumes does this particular backup archive consist of?

- If possible, copy this backup archive from the external hard drive to any other supported media (CD, DVD, internal or networked hard drive, etc.) using Windows Explorer or any other file manager and try to restore\validate it once more. Let us know the result;

- Have you ever been able to restore\validate\mount this particular backup archive?

P.S. We also recommend that you check if your external USB hard drive is connected to the computer through a HUB. If yes, then please try connecting it directly. If that does not help then you can also try using another USB port(s).

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. selkov

selkov Registered Member

Sirs,
    Sorry I deleted the email confirmation showing your reciept o fmy TS Request.
    Email address it was sent to is [e-mail address removed due to personal security reasons]

- Try validating the backup,,Current version is 3677

***** I recieve this error!
    "This is not the last created volume of the backup archive. Please insert the
    last created volume to start working with this archive."

- Does the problem appear both when you try to restore this particular backup
    archive using Acronis True Image 9.0 Home from under Windows and when
    your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD?
    *****YES

- How many volumes does this particular backup archive consist of?
    ***** Just this one

- If possible, copy this backup archive from the external hard drive to any other supported media (CD, DVD, internal or networked hard drive, etc.) using Windows Explorer or any other file manager and try to restore\validate it once more. Let us know the result;
    *****Same Results

- Have you ever been able to restore\validate\mount this particular backup archive?
    *****No, first attempt to restore.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  13. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Selkov

Can you do a quick test to determine the source of the problem.

Test 1 (from within Windows)
    ------
    1. Create a backup image, on an internal disk, of a reasonably sized folder (e.g. My Documents), but exclude sub-folders like My Music or My Pictures if they are very big.

2. Test if the archive is OK by using the Mount Image utility

3. If you cannot mount the image then I suggest that your TI9 installation is corrupt.

4. Download the latest build of TI9. Uninstall your current version. Reinstall the latest build

5. Run the test again.

If you can get Test 1 to complete successfully then......

Test 2 (from within Windows)
    ------
    1. Create another backup image of My Documents but this time locate the image on your USB drive

2. Again, try to mount the image

3. If you cannot mount the image then I suggest that you have a timing difference between your USB drive and your MOBO. You could try a new data cable or plugging the USB into a different connector, but there may not be a solution. (Remember TI works with data in a completely different way to standard applications)

Test 3 (from the ATI CD and Linux shell)
    ------

1. Run the test again from the CD

14. selkov

selkov Registered Member

Hey Tabvla,

1. Create a backup image, on an internal disk, of a reasonably sized folder (e.g. My Documents), but exclude sub-folders like My Music or My Pictures if they are very big.

2. Test if the archive is OK by using the Mount Image utility

YOU CAN ONLU MOUNT AN IMAGE IF IT CONTAINS A PARTITION.
    thanks anyway

15. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Apologies if I did not explain that properly.

If you don't have a spare partition then create one. Copy your My Documents folder into the partition and create an image of it. You can then use the Mount Image utility.

This is just a test and it is preferable not to mess with your live data. Apologies that I did not explain that you will be working with a copy of your data.

:oops:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello selkov,

I'm afraid that this particular backup archive is corrupted and therefore cannot be restored. However, the reason why corruption has occurred is not clear yet.

Could you please inform us about the results of the following tests?

- Create a new image archive saving it to the internal hard drive and then validate it by means of the Validate Backup Archive tool;

- Create a new image archive saving to the external USB hard drive and then validate it by means of the Validate Backup Archive tool;

- Perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility and inform us about the result;

- Try moving\copying large files, e.g. disk\partition images themselves, between the internal and external hard drives and comparing their checksums calculated using eXpress CheckSum Calculator before and after the files were moved\copied.

As for the support request you have submitted, I've searched through our database and found only one request made from the e-mail address you provided. This request is dated April 19th of 2006, has subject "back up to dvd" and not related to the current problem, as far as I understood. This means that your letter was not delivered for some reason and that's why you did not receive a reply.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.